Windscreen demisting

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

First properly cold day and my windscreen only demists on the passenger side and half of the drivers side. Even after 15 minute journey with climate on max the right hand edge was badly misted up. Heated screen on too...
T5R Fusion Red 03/19

BiddyR

Post by BiddyR »

Doesn’t sound good, get ours next week. Hope you get find a solution quickly. Can’t be right, can it?
T4 R Design Pro FWD
Paulinyork

Post by Paulinyork »

I'm sure you weren't, but need to ask. Were you in Eco drive mode? This reduces the efficiency of the climate system.
T4 FWD R Design in Thunder Grey. Winter Pack, Reversing Camera.
Christ, Options are expensive!!
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

The rest of the screen clears in a minute or two. I guess there is one fan or vent out of action.

I am also surprised that starting up the car on an icy morning with climate on auto doesn’t automatically whack the windscreen fans up to max. It’s smart enough to switch everything else on that generates heat.
T5R Fusion Red 03/19
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Something not right here. You state in your initial post that the heated screen was on too. The windscreen should clear the condensation/mist no mater what the fan or vents are doing.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

I jumped in this morning, 1 degree and frozen screen but no interior condensation. Nothing switched on automatically, but I set climate to Max and switched on the heated screen. The screen was clear in a matter of seconds and there was a strong flow coming from the main vents that are bottom centre. All good.

Yesterday evening on returning to the car after work there was no ice but the interior was massively fogged up. As described above about 80% of the screen cleared ok but the remaining 20% up the righthand side just didn't want to clear at all, even though everything possible was switched on. On reflection I don't see what additional air flow there could have been, so it's hard to understand what's happening here apart from a really poor implementation.
T5R Fusion Red 03/19
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Used the app this morning to start mine remotely and all nice and defrosted within a few minutes.

No misting up on the inside...suggest something up with yours OP or had you just drunk a hot mug of coffee? As others have said heated front screen should have cleared in seconds.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

As a side note, why don't manual transmission cars have remote start? I would have liked that.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
7Characters

Post by 7Characters »

Skyrimmer wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:40 pm As a side note, why don't manual transmission cars have remote start? I would have liked that.
Manual cars are more often than not left in gear when parked, either forward or reverse.

Wouldn't go down well to autostart a car left in gear !!
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Might be worth giving the inside of the screen a clean. Have only had the car a few months but gave the inside of the screen its second clean at the weekend as I was getting patches of fogging/condensation. It's much better now.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.