Wi-fi

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Is anyone having problems using or setting up wi-fi? The facility isn’t showing on the screen, and although my iPhone adopts the wi-fi name and password and the car shows it connected, Safari indicates that the phone is not linked to the server. It is also not possible to complete the registration process as the appropriate screen is only intermittently available.

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

In the context of the car what do you mean by facility, adopts, and server?

I have Volvo free 100Gb SIM installed and don't have issues connecting my iPad to the car's WiFi hotspot fed via the SIM.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hi

There have been issues - this may or may not be part of your issue. The post below (copied from the Volvo Owners Club forum) was made by someone who works for Bells, a Volvo main dealer in Northampton.

Hi,

Summary of some information published by Volvo today internally:

"•We are aware of a small number of bugs relating to account registration that are affecting the smooth installation of P-SIMs to customers’cars.

We encourage you to read the following information for helpful tips and advice (instructions I've put on previous posts)

As a general piece of advice, just sticking the P-SIM into the slot and expecting it to connect automatically will NOT work.

We are using a global Vodafone P-SIM that works in a different way to data SIM cards bought in the UK for this purpose.

For this reason, it is imperative that you follow the instructions as there are additional steps required to provision the service, particularly the roaming setting and the APN address.

•Do check that the vehicle is online (globe in top left-hand corner of the centre screen) before trying to create an account. Without this, whilst your device will be connected to the vehicle hotspot, you won’t have any internet access.

•Once the P-SIM has accessed the Vodafone network, the next stage is to create a customer account. We have found Apple devices(and the Safari browser in particular) to be unstable due to the way in which they cache data. Best results have been seen from using non-Apple devices with either Chrome or Firefox, in incognito/private mode. However, if you only have access to Apple devices, use any browser except Safari. We are working with Vodafone to improve this service.

•NB. The oneyear or 100GB data package does not start until the user has created a Vodafone account.Therefore, if the user is having difficulties and has not yet been able to create an account, they are not losing out on their data allowance"
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:50 pm Hi

There have been issues - this may or may not be part of your issue. The post below (copied from the Volvo Owners Club forum) was made by someone who works for Bells, a Volvo main dealer in Northampton.

Hi,

Summary of some information published by Volvo today internally:

"•We are aware of a small number of bugs relating to account registration that are affecting the smooth installation of P-SIMs to customers’cars.

We encourage you to read the following information for helpful tips and advice (instructions I've put on previous posts)

As a general piece of advice, just sticking the P-SIM into the slot and expecting it to connect automatically will NOT work.

We are using a global Vodafone P-SIM that works in a different way to data SIM cards bought in the UK for this purpose.

For this reason, it is imperative that you follow the instructions as there are additional steps required to provision the service, particularly the roaming setting and the APN address.

•Do check that the vehicle is online (globe in top left-hand corner of the centre screen) before trying to create an account. Without this, whilst your device will be connected to the vehicle hotspot, you won’t have any internet access.

•Once the P-SIM has accessed the Vodafone network, the next stage is to create a customer account. We have found Apple devices(and the Safari browser in particular) to be unstable due to the way in which they cache data. Best results have been seen from using non-Apple devices with either Chrome or Firefox, in incognito/private mode. However, if you only have access to Apple devices, use any browser except Safari. We are working with Vodafone to improve this service.

•NB. The oneyear or 100GB data package does not start until the user has created a Vodafone account.Therefore, if the user is having difficulties and has not yet been able to create an account, they are not losing out on their data allowance"
When I picked up my 100Gb SIM from my dealer he worked to exactly the same set of rules. He even had a printed A4 sheet with the details step by step. The viewing of the globe (Internet connection) was one particular step we had to wait a few minutes for, but got there in the end.