Nuisance Service Message

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Tartansporran

Post by Tartansporran »

My XC40 is due it's first annual service by 'time' at the end if November (it is well under mileage wise). For approximately three weeks now, every time I start I get a nuisance message telling me to book a service. Ironically, I planned well ahead and booked my service over the phone about six weeks ago for the end of November. I have spoken to the dealership (never the font of knowledge) who informed me the message will clear when the service has been done. Someone please tell that this is not true and that for approximately for six weeks a year I have to put up with this nuisance message. I can understand a message which can not be cancelled telling me I am overdue a service, but not one that I should book a service when I have one already booked. I note there is a facility to book a service through the car, would perhaps this get around the problem next year?
Last edited by Tartansporran on Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XC40 D4 R-Design Pro First Edition, Osmium Grey, 19” Wheels

vpw

Post by vpw »

Hi. I do not have mine xc yet but can you try the solution: https://seventrumpet.com/how-to-reset-service-maintenance-warning-light-on-volvo-xc40/. Interesting if it works as described.
MY20 momentum pro t3 automat fwd white + lights + winter + versatility + driver assist + park assist + climate +
Tartansporran

Post by Tartansporran »

Thanks very much for the reply, unfortunately the suggested solution is not for my issue, and, even if it were, the instructions do not match the hardware in my car. Enjoy your XC40!
vpw

Post by vpw »

Hi. Thanks for checking. I saw the comment on youtube that for newer models it is just reset button to be used (at the end of turn signal stalk) instead of down button on a steering wheel. Worth to try as it is very annoying to drive with the message on. Mine is coming in 1-2 weeks only so hope to have it very soon.
MY20 momentum pro t3 automat fwd white + lights + winter + versatility + driver assist + park assist + climate +
Tartansporran

Post by Tartansporran »

Nope, that just reset my trip computer, but then again that Youtube post refers to a service light - not my issue. I think I have found the answer - I have to book a service through the car software (as opposed to telephone booking). Currently proving tricky. Took quite a few attempts to get the vehicle to accept I have a Volvo ID. Having cracked that hurdle I am now trying to register my garage with Volvo.com under my account - not easy. Once that is all done it should be a few taps on the car screen to book a service at my registered garage. Hopefully, the car will then acknowledge I have a service booked and stop nagging me to book one - simples.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I couldn't get the book service from car thing to work at all. And on asking about it was told be the dealer that its a waste of time.
They also advised me that there wasn't a way to remove the service due message until it was reset at the service.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

Here is a YouTube video of someone doing an oil change on his XC40 - At the very end of this video at about 14:10, he shows you how to reset the service reminder notification.
Tartansporran

Post by Tartansporran »

Will try reset as per video.

As an aside, from personal experience I have found that car dealerships in general are not very good at keeping up with modern car technology. Sometimes it is because they lack information from the manufacturer. Front of house are particularly good at PODG (Purveyors of Duff Gen). They rarely admit when they do not know an answer instead often come out with complete bull****. IMHO of course 😀