Keyless entry => "Relay" (or "remote") Theft

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Something to be aware of. This link only selected as first one that came up and which explains it quite nicely. Plenty of other coverage if you search.

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/news-a ... t-your-car

Not sure if volvo have some additional protection built into their system, but best still to be cautious perhaps. Many sites suggest backing up security with a mechanical bar lock. Heck we've come a long way (round) over the last twenty years or so!

Don't forget it's not only your day to day key, but also the spares that create a risk.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18

Andy S

Post by Andy S »

This has been the subject of a long thread on the F Pace forum that I am a member of ...... The simple answer is to purchase some Faraday key bags - Plenty to choose from on E-Bay, and then leave keys as far away as possible
T5: Crystal White: 1st Edition: 20" Wheels: Lava Orange: Rubber Mats: Tow-bar: Proud owner since early April :D
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Andy S wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:31 pm This has been the subject of a long thread on the F Pace forum that I am a member of ...... The simple answer is to purchase some Faraday key bags - Plenty to choose from on E-Bay, and then leave keys as far away as possible
or, it the internet is to be believed, in foil lined sealed tin box, or sticking the key in the microwave (not turned on!).

Personally I have faraday's and these (so far) work really well. Make sure you use the "correct" pocket in the bag as some of these bags have two slots . One is a faraday "pocket" , one isn't!!
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
peekyy

Post by peekyy »

peekyy

Post by peekyy »

and see http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/c ... newsletter

re shields:
there are some doubts on the internet about alu foil protection; permalloy or other "Farraday" seems to be better. Today I openned my XC40 with fob inside the cryptalloy pochette for cards :( - the better message is that at least for the start it has to be put out.