Clutch Pedal Issue?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
K1t

Post by K1t »

Here`s an issue that I had this morning and I don`t recall seeing a post on this one? Taking the good lady to the local supermarket, about 4-5 miles away for a quick shop I had a somewhat concerning problem when the clutch/pedal suddenly stopped working! As I entered the car park I went to put my foot on the clutch pedal and NOTHING? the pedal had completely vanished from view, so I had to coast, fortunately, over to a parking spot where the autobrakes came on and locked up all 4 wheels! On further inspection I discovered the clutch pedal firmly jammed down to the carpet. I managed to, just, get my fingers under the pedal and gave it a yank, it came up to about half way only. I jumped back into the drivers seat, pumped the pedal a couple of times but it didn`t feel right. So foot down on the pedal, the engine started ok and I just managed to coax it into 1st gear, but as the pedal was not coming up to full height the auto brakes would not release and let me drive at all! After sitting and pumping the pedal many times it finally returned to full height and behaved as nothing was wrong and driving the car was not a problem? As I was only about 1/4 mile from the local dealer I took the risk and drove it straight to them, bl**dy faultlessly too! So long story short, me, wife and shopping were taken home (we have another car to use so didn`t want the faff of a loaner) and we now sit here waiting for some form of contact/diagnostics, but its looking to me and the service manager, like a hydraulics issue, prob. master cylinder as the clutch itself is showing no signs of a fault (slip/smell/judder etc).......so I`ll update as soon as I know anything. BTW, the car is JUST 3 months old and covered a mere 2069 miles :x :evil: :o :(
XC40 T3 R-Design (as it comes, no frills) FWD, Manual, my2020, 163bhp, Crystal White, Tempa Spare Wheel Kit, Folding boot floor, Sunglasses Holder. Paintwork/Trim sealed with Zirconite Quartz Nano Coating, Park assist camera kit (self fit)

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

Hope you get it sorted.

I had a new MK1 VW Golf in the 80s, and the accelerator pedal was attached to the carburettor by a cable. It became detached from the pedal and left me with no power in the middle of a busy roundabout. Coasted to a stop and connected the cable back to the pedal with the drawstring from a anorak coat I had. Worked well 😀
K1t

Post by K1t »

so I got a call (first one in 3 working days!) from the dealer this morning to come and collect my xc40 with the, expected statement of "we haven`t been able to recreate the fault, so you can come and collect your car" This I have now duly done. The service manager even took my car home with him last night, with my permission, but still no issue :x I am now advised to continue to drive it, and if, it happens again to take pictures and/or a short video of the clutch pedal in its depressed state so they can us this 'evidence' to show to Volvo and convince them to authorise removal of the gearbox to replace the suspected defective hydraulic clutch CSC (concentric slave cylinder) within! :o B.T.W, both myself and the service manager suspect that this is the offending article. F.Y.I its the same CSC as used in the Ford Focus, Kuga and Mondeo range, the Volvo V40, S40 ALL of which have long standing faults with 'sticking' CSC`s :shock: .................so I'm now waiting for the 'second shoe to land' so to speak.
XC40 T3 R-Design (as it comes, no frills) FWD, Manual, my2020, 163bhp, Crystal White, Tempa Spare Wheel Kit, Folding boot floor, Sunglasses Holder. Paintwork/Trim sealed with Zirconite Quartz Nano Coating, Park assist camera kit (self fit)