Pilot Assist

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
michael123

Post by michael123 »

Is it basically an adaptive cruise control + automatic steering?
But then we need to touch the wheel every 30 seconds.
I don't quite understand this function

USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

michael123 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:43 pm Is it basically an adaptive cruise control + automatic steering?
But then we need to touch the wheel every 30 seconds.
I don't quite understand this function
It's a safety function - it keeps you from hitting the cars around you and keeps you on track, say if falling to sleep at the wheel. It's not meant to be a driverless system.

A fully driverless system, if it ever does happen, will be year's in the future. And if I'm around then, I'll switch it off 😀
Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

Mostly except it doesn’t need a car in front to follow. It’s also able to adapt to road conditions ahead ie bends, hills based on the sat navigation information and the cameras. Below 20 mph in traffic you don’t need to touch the steering wheel, the 30s only applies at higher speeds.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I use it on a regular basis and I think it's every 10secs you get the orange warning to touch the steering wheel and I thought it was up to 10mph that it didn't need that, not 20 as above. I really like it in stop start traffic on the motorway but I won't miss it much when I change cars.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Cjwye

Post by Cjwye »

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the pilot assist positions the car much closer to the left hand side of the lane rather than the middle?
Makes it seem very close to cars on the left
Bob

Post by Bob »

I got them to reset mine at the first annual service, it does seem to be better now.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Cjwye

Post by Cjwye »

Ok thanks - I will mention it at the 3 month check up. I am guessing it can be calibrated.

That aside I do find I use it a lot and it does make motorway driving so much easier
Bob

Post by Bob »

For some reason they would do it at the 3 monthly check for me (though some had it rest then), so I just waited another 9 months!
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
michael123

Post by michael123 »

AnotherXC40 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:49 pm Mostly except it doesn’t need a car in front to follow. It’s also able to adapt to road conditions ahead ie bends, hills based on the sat navigation information and the cameras. Below 20 mph in traffic you don’t need to touch the steering wheel, the 30s only applies at higher speeds.
Was driving in a very slow traffic, for some reason if a car is standing more than 15 sec or so, pilot assist switches off.
So I need to press the '+' button periodically.
Also, I noticed it is not always tries to keep to the lane center, so I need to steer a bit.

I have a strong feeling that Pilot Assist function can do potentially more than it does today :-(