Can you delete Navigation Maps?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Tartansporran

Post by Tartansporran »

Hi,
I was wondering is it possible to delete Maps from the Navigation data base? There are several countries I will never go to. They obviously take up space on the Hard Drive. However, the main issue is the nuisance messages telling me there are updates available. These updates are not available to download due to their size so have to be done via USB. I am part way through the time consuming process of installing one 1.5GB update which took about 5 hours to download (Hi Speed internet) and is still uploading to car after an hour of driving. The total map download size is 45GB which will take days!
Thanks.
XC40 D4 R-Design Pro First Edition, Osmium Grey, 19” Wheels

USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

You may have an internet connection but it can't be described as High speed. I've just downloaded the 2.54Gb UK map and it took all of 7 minutes. 5 hours seems excessive.
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

Full map download to car from USB should be about 40 -45 mins, and whilst is doing it you will lose maps and speed sign recognition. Just update the Northern Europe map, unless you are going abroad. If you have a external sim or use you’re phone for Data then use this to download map and it will auto install and you won’t loose the map and speed sign recognition. Again takes about 40 mins but you won’t notice it happening
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I’m not aware of being able to delete the maps, but make sure your USB stick is USB 3 or better. My USB 3.1 takes a little over half an hour to update the maps on the car. I can’t speak for your internet provider, but my 72Mbps connection downloads the full amp update in about 5 hours as long as I’m not streaming a film, so generally leave to download overnight.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

hdasmith wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:40 am I’m not aware of being able to delete the maps, but make sure your USB stick is USB 3 or better. My USB 3.1 takes a little over half an hour to update the maps on the car. I can’t speak for your internet provider, but my 72Mbps connection downloads the full amp update in about 5 hours as long as I’m not streaming a film, so generally leave to download overnight.
It shouldn't matter if the USB stick is v2 or v3, as according to the car's specs the socket is USB v2. So using a v3 stick will just use the v2 speed.
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

The entire Europe file at 50 GB at 72Mbps should take about 1hr 40mins. I'd complain to your ISP !!
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I think it’s Volvo’s servers rather than my ISP’s. I can get 8MBps downloads from other servers.

WRT USB standard, I haven’t bothered looking at the pin count, but reports on here, and personal experience has shown that USB 2 drives are significantly slower at updating the maps.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

hdasmith wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:50 pm I think it’s Volvo’s servers rather than my ISP’s. I can get 8MBps downloads from other servers.

WRT USB standard, I haven’t bothered looking at the pin count, but reports on here, and personal experience has shown that USB 2 drives are significantly slower at updating the maps.
That's confusing me!
It doesn't matter what speed the drive is, if the actual port is USB2 then USB2 is the speed the data will transfer.

According to the manual the port is USB2 so using a fast USB3 drive won't make it any quicker than the USB2 port its feeding into.

That the theory anyway 😀
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Are you downloading to your computer hard drive then transferring to the USB stick or downloading directly to the USB stick? If you are downloading direct to the USB stick that could be the problem.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I'm sure this is not the answer you were hoping for, and i got the same issue with the map updates but i grew to ignore them.

Went to the 3mths service today and raised the issue, was told the maps "are part of the car" and they can not be removed. Asked if factory reset would remove them, he said yes - but connecting to the internet will simply start to redownload them all.

Guess we're stuck with them, then!