12V electrical socket - cargo/load/boot area

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
scnps

Post by scnps »

Hi, new to the forum though have been looking various things up whilst I was/am eagerly awaiting delivery of my XC40 Inscription in September.
However, on recently downloading and reading the manual there was a potential deal buster for me, though missus talked me back around, that had me thinking ‘is there a work-around’ or have I read incorrectly.

So, to the problem that involves the ‘cargo area’ 12V electrical socket. With the 2020 model this is now included with the build as opposed to an accessory optional extra. So all good there but a fundamental change in use is that it will not be ‘live’ without ignition.

My last 3 Volvos (old style V40, V50 & V40CC) had this fitted either by factory or after sales with the dealer and all 3 would provide power without the need of the key in the ignition and/or car running.

Their respective manuals (last 2) state:
Volvo V40CC
12 V socket - cargo area
The socket also provides voltage when the remote control key is not in the ignition switch.

Volvo V50
Electrical socket in cargo area
This socket works regardless of whether or not the ignition is on.

But with the XC40 it states minimum of ignition position I is required, as below, but wondering can this be by-passed and changed to always live.

Volvo XC40
Electrical sockets: 12 V electrical socket in cargo area.
Using electrical sockets-
12 V sockets can be used for various accessories designed for this: ‘cooler boxes’.
For the sockets to supply current, the car's electrical system must be set in the lowest ignition position I. The sockets are then active as long as the starter battery level does not become too low.
If the engine is switched off and the car is locked, the sockets are deactivated. If the engine is switched off and the car is not locked, or is locked with double lock temporarily deactivated, then the sockets continue to be active for a further seven minutes.

Even in the manual it gives a cooler box as an example but how is that any good when left in the car if you’re out about somewhere.

Anyway, my requirements are fan for the dog when not driving, mainly during ‘Scottish Islands’ ferry crossings and also situations where the dog has to stay in the car. PLEASE NOTE before I get trolled, that our dog would never be left in the car during any overly warm or hot days, when they are left this is never more than 30 minutes and rear windows are open to a point and we have a boot device which allows this too to be open 6”, and boot fan running.
Yes I know I could temp run the fan from batteries though not really the point, but let's direct need as below, and possible cool box use 😊

The other need is for charging batteries (drones) when parked up and I’m out trekking elsewhere.

We’ve never had any car battery issues using the sockets for our needs in our last 3 cars, so what’s changed.

There is also this in the manual but alas I cannot decipher, as it contradicts the previous. Does it mean there is an option to make this socket permanently live?
NOTE: Remember that use of the electrical socket with the engine switched off entails a risk of discharging the starter battery, which can limit functionality.
Accessories that are connected to the electrical sockets may be activated even when the car's electrical system is disconnected or if preconditioning is used. For this reason, disconnect the connectors when they are not in use in order to avoid the starter battery being discharged.

Thanks for any help, pointers or advice.
XC40 Inscription (MY20) T4 FWD 2.0l petrol automatic - Denim Blue - Xenium pack, Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs.

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Not much help in solving your problem but I can confirm that the socket is indeed only active with the ignition on. I use it to power my rear dashcam which powers up/down automatically with the ignition.
Have you thought of running a power cable up to the boot from a piggyback fuse in the fuse box which is located under the front passenger seat?
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
scnps

Post by scnps »

Thanks for confirming.
On reflection, not the end of the world and will live with it, not really wanting to hack the car and pull internals, plus not car technically minded, being brand new and ordered with most bells and whistles.
Which interestingly worked out £500 cheaper than getting the Inscription Pro and now same spec.

Anyway back to topic, any idea why they changed it from previous models mentioned or is it a XC thing.
XC40 Inscription (MY20) T4 FWD 2.0l petrol automatic - Denim Blue - Xenium pack, Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs.
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

Not a difficult job to run a power socket lead from the fuse box under the passenger seat. I have done this and use as you suggest but also to plug in a battery optimiser when parked up at home for any length of time.