Car internet connection

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
sm1thy23

Post by sm1thy23 »

Only got my T4 R-Design last week but have finally got round to trying to connect it to the internet via my phones hotspot, but when connected nothing will load.

Any ideas on what I may have missed on setting it up?
XC40 R-Design T4 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Deleted User 1894

Post by Deleted User 1894 »

I'd just buy a data SIM and pop it in the holder under the boot floor. One of these would work:

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

That is one area I haven't looked at yet. I take it you can do this even if you didn't spec Carplay and Android Auto?

What can it be used for?

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

ChrisLF wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:43 pm That is one area I haven't looked at yet. I take it you can do this even if you didn't spec Carplay and Android Auto?

What can it be used for?

Chris
The internet connection will allow you access to Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) which will show on the centre navigation display.
You can also download apps such as weather, parking availability, Google search and internet radio.
I find it really useful. And yes you don't need Android Auto or car play.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Thanks for that. I shall get onto it!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
TGxc40

Post by TGxc40 »

Once you have paired a phone by bluetooth you can then enable bluetooth hotspot instead (on the phone). This should then work automatically when it reconnects in future.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

TGxc40 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:54 am Once you have paired a phone by bluetooth you can then enable bluetooth hotspot instead (on the phone). This should then work automatically when it reconnects in future.
By far the best option if:

1) Your phone data plan has the capacity to cover your In-car use, and

2) Your phone allows Bluetooth Internet access. Most of the latest gen phones do but, it's not always the case.

WiFi hotspot really is the poor relation. You have to remember to enable every time you get into the car. You also can't connect to WiFi when you get out of the car until you disconnect hotspot (though most phones auto-disconnect after a period of no use).
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Bought one of the SIMs as recommended above. Installed and up and running in minutes. I don't have a Smartphone so that's not an option for me.

It's already informed me that there is an update for the maps. Better than with my previous car where I had to update the SD card via the PC.

What apps need to be downloaded for the weather and live traffic and do they use much data?

Thanks, Chris

Deleted User 1894

Post by Deleted User 1894 »

I wouldn't use the SIM card to download a map update - it'll take ages and chew up lots of data. It's probably best to download to a USB stick from Volvo's web site and install that way.

You don't need a separate application for traffic information - it'll be overlaid on the normal navigation map and roads will show as orange or red if traffic conditions are poor/dreadful. If you go to the settings page in the centre display and then "Navigation -> Traffic", you can turn it ("RTTI") on and off. I have mine so it also shows a green line for "normal" road conditions ("Show free flowing traffic").

You can download a separate weather thingy from the main screen.

I don't think either of them use a huge amount of data. I looked after about 3 weeks of ownership and I'd used about 40MB, which includes downloading a couple of things.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Thanks for the very useful information, much appreciated.

I have read the manual a few times now but you don't always absorb all the information and doesn't always tell you everything.

Chris