Slight Creak/Rattle

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

When driving back from the dealer after picking up we noticed a slight creak/rattle coming from the dashboard area. On subsequent runs it hasn't done it but today it has again. Seems to happen when the air con is being used so I guess something temperature related is causing it. It's not that bad but obviously it would be better without it as that's the only rattle etc.

I'm not going to report it to the dealer unless it gets worse, as I don't want the dashboard dismantling. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

Peter G

Post by Peter G »

Hi
It could be the aircon vents behind the dash/instrument panel that needs to be calibrated. They open and close after what settings you use and temparature in the car. Had simlar on a Touran and was lucky to find a youtube video showing a secret menu using 2 of the aircon buttons. Your dealer should know.... 8-)
2018 XC40 D4 AWD AUT Black Onyx Momentum First Mover
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Thanks Peter

I'll maybe mention it at the 3 months check if something can be done without taking the car apart.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
gtest

Post by gtest »

Before the summer my Xc40 started to make a noise/rattle under the dashboard. Seems like the airco valves. It only does it for 2 a 3 minutes then the rattle noise is gone. Anybody has a solution for this? Seems I am not the only one.
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Mine doesn't go after a few minutes unfortunately. Now that I'm not using the air con on the lowest setting very often now I'm not experiencing the problem as much.

gtest

Post by gtest »

Been to the dealer.
Volvo says it is a known issue!
I had to make some video/audio recordings for Volvo Belgium to fasten up the investigation in Sweden...
Volvo Sweden is investigating, no solution yet.
I keep everybody posted for new developments.
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
gtest

Post by gtest »

Update:
Volvo contacted me, they will replace the complete HVAC unit!
I keep everybody posted with the results ( end October or first week of November).
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

That seems like a lot of dismantling which I don't really want. It is an annoying noise though in what is otherwise a very quiet car.

gtest

Post by gtest »

Yesterday they replaced the Hvac-unit under the dash.
All rattles and creaks are gone.

Took them less then a day to replace .
They also told me that I was lucky because the unit was due to fail soon...costs a few 1000€ if it would have been out of warranty !
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Thanks for the update. I shall mention it at the first service.

Chris