Parking Sensor Question

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I've pretty much got to grips with Sensus now but one thing I haven't sussed is the front parking sensors. Have front and rear sensors and the rear camera.

Fine with activating the camera via going into R or the screen but when approaching forwards I'm not getting any visual or audible warnings. I've also pressed the Parking icon which tells me it activates at slow speeds.

What should I expect to see when approaching a hazard going forwards?

I've read the handbook twice now so it's either not very clear on this or I'm missing something.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

Make sure the parking sensor button is selected on the camera screen, that way your front parking sensor will sound. You will see different things depending upon which view you have selected either you will see the distance and colour superimposed on the image from the camera or you will see a graphic of the car with the sensor that is reporting a close object.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

This may be a silly question but are you sure the front park assist has been installed? Can you see the parking sensors on the front of the car? I would expect them to be active by default if present.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
morrsn

Post by morrsn »

ChrisLF wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:14 pm

What should I expect to see when approaching a hazard going forwards?

Audible and visible warnings on the rear view camera interface. The sensors start beeping way early before being remotley close to an object so there's something definitely off.

I had a similar problem where all my sensors would randomly stop working which was easily fixed in under 15 minutes by a software update at the dealership.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the first thing I checked is that it's got the sensors.

Had another play earlier. Put it into reverse which brought up the camera view but when going into drive and moving forwards the camera view disappeared and the radio stations view came up which I didn't expect. Carried on forwards and the car graphic came up beeping and flashing. By this point I was past and very close to the brick porch. In the Yeti the graphic stayed on if selecting reverse or the parking sensor button and would have picked up the porch sooner. Surprised that the XC40 only has two sensors at the front which are well away from the side. Guess I need to get used to it and to trust it.

Haven't tried reversing close to anything yet. When getting close to a wall etc. does the camera stay on but supplemented with the rear sensors?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.