Internet SIM card

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
jd40

Post by jd40 »

Anyone recommend a SIM card suitable for the xc40,for connecting to the internet,and are they available through the dealership?
XC40 T5 First Edition, 20inch wheels, fusion red, charcoal

Bob

Post by Bob »

The best deal I've seen is with Three 12GB valid for up to 12 months.
A year ago this was being sold at half the price, so it may be worth keeping a look out for deals.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I am sure I've seen others (elsewhere) mentioning a 24GB Three card that is valid for 2 years. (Apparently cheaper per GB, and "lasts longer")

Good question jd - I've been mulling whether data sim or to hotspot my phone is the best way forward.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

This is the one from Amazon, says not available at moment but someone on another forum has ordered one and it’s been delivered.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-B ... dpSrc=srch
Bob

Post by Bob »

Whiterdesign wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:47 pm This is the one from Amazon, says not available at moment but someone on another forum has ordered one and it’s been delivered.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-B ... dpSrc=srch
That's the one I've seen in the past, the 12G option is £27, the 24G over 2 years looks a good deal.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Mukesh

Post by Mukesh »

I heard that the provider " 3 Mobile " doesn't have good coverage and reception problems in places . Is this the case ?
If so than I would be interested to see if there are other providers or maybe one that is specially recommended by Volvo
XC40. T5. FE. Bright silver / lava interior / 20 inch alloys. Delivered 13th April .
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Okay this is going to be one of those "how long is a piece of string" but does anyone have a data sim in their current car and can give an indication of how much data they might get through in month (or any other measure).

Appreciate this will be impacted by streaming services (spotify and the like) but any thought as to how much Sensus might swallow just on day to day usage (no media).
Thanks
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

I stream Spotify in work for 8/9 hours a day 5 days a week, I roughly use 14gb a month. Hope this helps give a rough idea of how much data is used with streaming music services. Now I doubt most of us would even use a quarter of that driving streaming music and updates etc.

I’m personally going to just tether my iPhone when needed, far easier and cheaper for me this way.

I found Three to be the cheapest for data cost/allowances, and reception is great, I never have a dead spot round by me.
XC40 FE - White 20” Wheels With headlight washers - Ordered 4th February 2018 & Delivered 10th April 2018
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Sputnik, thanks. I think what I am going to do is hotspot for a few months and see what the traffic is like. I don't stream a lot per se (not to say that I won't dip in now and again) so not anticipating to be anywhere near what you are doing so I am thinking probably my phones data will manage. Though I might go for a back up SIM in due course for those days when I am close to max'ing out on the phone.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

No worries mate. Luckily I get 30gb a month to play with
XC40 FE - White 20” Wheels With headlight washers - Ordered 4th February 2018 & Delivered 10th April 2018