Sports exhaust system

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

That’s the thing though, sports exhaust (to me anyway) means louder, noisier, annoying residents and pedestrians, breaching noise pollution limits, and should carry points and a fine (actually does, but the police don’t enforce it). They drive me made where I live.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018

ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

ChrisLF wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:41 pm Got to ask, why would you want to?
I agree with ChrisLF. The volvo is a SUV. Like Chris with his audi, I drive my Porsche boxster when I want a bit of exhaust noise and fun!
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Absolutely, the TT does have a bit of a rasp but not loud enough that it becomes annoying on long journeys or to the neighbours. And at least with the roof down I can hear it. Being a turbo the exhaust is going to be limited on how much of a growl anyway which I suspect is going to be a factor with that for the XC40.

Viravital - be interesting to see (hear!) what difference it does make though I won't be going down that route.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
varavital

Post by varavital »

ACertainAge wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:47 am I agree with ChrisLF. The volvo is a SUV.
A Porsche Cayenne is an SUV also, so is an Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio, and a BMW X6 M, a Range Rover Sport, a Porsche Macan S, a BMW X3 M, and a...
So they should all swap their exhaust system for a Hoover system?

I like the style of an XC40 much more than the models above (as you all do apparently), so does this means just because I like Volvo, I HAVE to stick with the uber silent exhaust?

And a good sports exhaust doesn't necessarily make a lot more noise annoying residents and pedestrians and breaching noise pollution limits, a good sport exhaust is developed so the noise is within the regulations but gives the driver inside the car a nicer sound.
The exhausts I mentioned all have EC approval, for the sound also...

But hey, if you don't fancy a sports exhaust, no problem, for those who do and want to know more about it, back on topic please.
The road is more important than the destination.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Can't argue with that, but those examples were designed as sporty SUVs from the start and whilst I don't know their engines details would suspect that they are more suitable for producing a sporty exhaust note. The XC40 isn't really in the same mould, would be different if they had something like a 3.0 V6 in the range.

Obviously your car and your choice. Good luck if you go for it and let us know how it goes, and sounds!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.