High oil level

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Blackpanther

Post by Blackpanther »

Started getting oil service warning indication and showing overfilled on the bar graph.
Took car to dealership and was told It had diesel in the oil sump giving a high level.
When questioned they said it was not being given adequate long runs to enable the DPf to regenerate properly and this was causing fuel to accumulate in the sump.
The dealership changed the oil/filter and manually initiated an DPF regent cycle and billed me for the work😡.
The car in question was my 2018 XC40 D3 inscription with nearly 7k on th clock and travels 15 mls most days with a 70 mile round trip once a week so it’s not wrapped in cotton wool.
I expressed my annoyance to the dealership and asked to see the service manager, this employee was however on a call but was told the charge would be waived as good faith on this occasion.
So buyers beware, only buy the diesels if you’re are doing fairly high miles or are prepared to pay for an additional interim oil change.
I like my Volvo but this has blighted the ownership experience and why are they making cars so overly complicated now!

stu22

Post by stu22 »

Main reason I’ve ordered a petrol XC40 for my wife, think we’d been lucky with the current Tiguan and previous Kuga diesels - my wife only does about 15 miles a day too in local traffic.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I've recently retired and no longer doing a 3 days a week, 20 miles each way commute and hence the ordering of a petrol car. My Yeti diesel is doing some longish runs though and seems fine - must check the oil though and give it a good blast!

But with your usage I would have thought you would have been alright, especially with the 70 mile round trip.

My neighbours are also retired and running diesel Evoques and Discoverys which I think is mad given that they only do short trips and don't tow caravans.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Don't think it's so much about distance..........more about sustained high speed. You need to be able to maintain a speed >50mph for a sufficient period on a regular basis.

I never have, & never will, own a soot-chucker but, agree that Volvo are very poor compared to other manfacturers in advising suitability (Skoda were very clear on required usage profile for prospective owners).
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Blackpanther wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:50 pm Started getting oil service warning indication and showing overfilled on the bar graph.
Took car to dealership and was told It had diesel in the oil sump giving a high level.
When questioned they said it was not being given adequate long runs to enable the DPf to regenerate properly and this was causing fuel to accumulate in the sump.
The dealership changed the oil/filter and manually initiated an DPF regent cycle and billed me for the work😡.
The car in question was my 2018 XC40 D3 inscription with nearly 7k on th clock and travels 15 mls most days with a 70 mile round trip once a week so it’s not wrapped in cotton wool.
I expressed my annoyance to the dealership and asked to see the service manager, this employee was however on a call but was told the charge would be waived as good faith on this occasion.
So buyers beware, only buy the diesels if you’re are doing fairly high miles or are prepared to pay for an additional interim oil change.
I like my Volvo but this has blighted the ownership experience and why are they making cars so overly complicated now!
My 2018 D3R with nearly 6K on the clock also shows oil overfilled, despite regular long journeys. Sometimes the orange warning light comes on, sometimes it doesn't, but the gauge always says oil overfilled. Had trouble with the Ad Blue gauge in the early days as well, saying nearly empty when it wasn't. Trouble is there is no dipstick to check oil level.
Blackpanther

Post by Blackpanther »

Along with the oil level issue I also had the Adblue level issue after 2 days of picking up the car. The dealership said Volvo had overfilled it but changed the sensor under warranty anyway.
I feel that manufactures have been forced to react quickly under environmental pressure to make diesels cleaner but have not fully engineered a solution and the consumer is picking up the bill.
Hardened Volvo buyers and the like will start to look elsewhere as my wife’s past 2 diesel Sportages had fantastic reliability!

Lastly “ Volvo, please give me a dipstick “😩
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Blackpanther wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:33 am Along with the oil level issue I also had the Adblue level issue after 2 days of picking up the car. The dealership said Volvo had overfilled it but changed the sensor under warranty anyway.
I feel that manufactures have been forced to react quickly under environmental pressure to make diesels cleaner but have not fully engineered a solution and the consumer is picking up the bill.
Hardened Volvo buyers and the like will start to look elsewhere as my wife’s past 2 diesel Sportages had fantastic reliability!

Lastly “ Volvo, please give me a dipstick “😩

When I started my D3 yesterday, oil was a gnats whisker under the full mark. Drove about 35 miles, when I restarted about 7 hours later, still the same. Drove about 10 miles, stopped for an hour and when I restarted gauge said oil overfilled. I shall now wait until first service in September before I mention it to garage, but these electronic gauges are so temperamental and what was wrong or could go wrong with a dipstick?
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

If it was me I'd take it to the dealer now to have it checked for diesel in the oil to avoid any damage.

On the subject of dipsticks I bought an old Fiat Stilo 1.9 diesel as a work hack a few years ago which had an electronic gauge but it also had a dipstick which was good because I then had faith in the gauge as when cross checked it was pretty accurate. Penny pinching not installing a dipstick.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
malkyxc40

Post by malkyxc40 »

Yes, have had the high oil level issue, explanations, oil change, service.
Noticed level after last dealer service was only half way along the bar graph.
Conclusion I reached was not to add oil unnless / until bar graph display is at ( or nearly at) left hand " low" end.
malkyxc40

Post by malkyxc40 »

ps the same is true of some diesels with a manual dipstick.
The electronic guage is not misreading, nor temperamental.
It's just that a manual dipstick does not " tell" you.