Automatic gearbox very shocky/jerky

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
gtest

Post by gtest »

hey, someone also has the same problem that the automatic gearbox is very shocky at the first hundred meters, this always occurs after a long standstill, for example after a night.
After that the automatic transmission is very smooth.

T4 automatic.(11/2018)

(Sorry for my bad English)
Last edited by gtest on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I have a T4 auto and my gearbox is absolutely perfect.

What you're describing sounds like you should get your dealer to check it for faults.

Sorry if this sounds patronising but, are you sure it's the gearbox? Some people seem to have problems with auto-hold sticking (I think this is especially true if you drive away very slowly/gently). I don't have this problem but, have experienced something similar on a previous car - had to change to a different brand of brake pads.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I don't have any issue with the auto box (D4). I'm thinking you mean jerky/jumpy feeling. I don't believe mine has ever done that, I'm on 1yr and 16,000 miles.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
iainrelliott

Post by iainrelliott »

I’ve had similar experiences. Fine when I initially pull out of my parking place, however when I leave the street and put my foot down a little, sometimes it can feel a little kangaroo like! Not enough to bother me but will get it looked at when it needs serviced. I’ve an AWD T4 Auto.
gtest

Post by gtest »

Hi thx all for replying.
Maybe to make my problem clearer, I can say that the shocks are very bad each time the gearbox gears up. It stops doing that after a few hundred metres. Than everything becomes normal.
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

One of the reasons I'm moving to a Volvo is to get a torque converter auto which are usually renowned for their smoothness. The demonstrator certainly lived up to that.

I'd better not have any problems with mine or I won't be very happy!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
abby606

Post by abby606 »

When you start the car, do you wait for the engine idle to drop before moving? I find that helps. It takes 20-30 seconds perhaps.
weasle

Post by weasle »

I have the same issue. First 100 metres, seems jerky, and this is most mornings. I've put this down to the engine rather than the auto but could be either.
XC40 2.0 T4 Inscription AWD, Onyx Black with Blond Leather, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Smartphone Integration, Tempa Spare Wheel, Privacy glass.
gtest

Post by gtest »

After my holiday in France, I will try to get the latest software update, seems that the software solves a lot of problems....see link.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/ar ... 515970036d
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
gtest

Post by gtest »

I still did not find the time to visit my dealer.

My gearbox is getting worst and is very jerky for the first hundred meters. (After that it seems fine)
Anybody had the same issue and had it solved?
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)