Driving in France - headlamp adjustment

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
BarnOwlBob

Post by BarnOwlBob »

Question is: do you need to adjust the headlamp beam if driving in France? Or use stickers?
Dealership said the headlights adjusted automatically when car detected it was driving on the continent (RHS of road). Another dealership said that the modern LED headlights gave a very parallel beam with no scatter of light and no adjustment was necessary. Couldn't find anything in the handbook on this subject.

XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Previous thread:
Re: Driving in Europe

Post by Whiterdesign » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Even if you don’t have adaptive shadow technology, due to the way the LED lights are set they will not dazzle they have a sharp cut off beam. So there is no setting for left or right hand drive. If you go onto Volvo forums.org there are guite a few posts about this pertaining to the xc60 and 90 which have the same lights if you don’t have AST.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
AWQ

Post by AWQ »

Going on holiday in France in two weeks and I have no idea whether I need beam reflectors or not.
Bought some Eurolites stickers, but XC40 is not on the list.
Has anyone any information about driving abroad as I am finding it particularly difficult in finding a definitive answer.
elaeroplano

Post by elaeroplano »

Hi AWQ - did you ever get an answer to this as I am going to France Friday and like you am finding it difficult to get info - many thanks
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

Doesn't need adjusting according to this, says the pattern doesn't need adjusting for left/right hand traffic. Enjoy France, its a pleasure to drive over there, (even with a caravan on the back)! Usually go over for a month in September, but sticking to the UK this year, I'm not jealous honest 😭😭
Adapting the headlamp pattern from the headlamps | Exterior lighting | Lighting | XC40 2021 | Volvo Support
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/ma ... -headlamps
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D