Fuelling with 2 flaps

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Shipsinker

Post by Shipsinker »

i folks, so I’m having problems getting diesel into my xc40 at my local pumps (Asda) . Pump constantly cuts out unless I’m only tickling the handle and filling incredibly slowly.

Don’t generally use any other pumps or pay much attention to nozzle length

I can’t determine if the issue is that I’m just on the second flap or what.

Any suggestions?
D3 Mometum Manual in Glacier Silver.

Added on smartphone integration, rear camera, front parking sensors, winter pack and convenience pack

enneo

Post by enneo »

No problem on first fill up Morrisons, not aware there was a problem. Filled up a few Ford hire cars with same system all over Europe without problems
XC 40 R-Design T4, Bursting Blue, Xenium Pack, Convenience Pack, Intellisafe Surround Pack, Tempa Spare Wheel + Jack
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Shipsinker wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:58 pm i folks, so I’m having problems getting diesel into my xc40 at my local pumps (Asda) . Pump constantly cuts out unless I’m only tickling the handle and filling incredibly slowly.
I have a Petrol so this may have no bearing on your problem but I was told when picking the car up to make sure, when refuelling, to put the petrol nozzle all the way into the refuelling cap. The metal ring on the nozzle actually goes into refuelling cap. I had a similar refuelling cap on a ford focus and you could never fit the nozzle that far into the cap - could that be the problem?

Trying not to be smutty but but no matter how I say this it is... just try sliding it deeper into the refuelling cap. as far as it will go, and give it a try :D :D
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Bob wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:56 pm What I have found out, particularly at my local Shell garage, is that if you pull up at a pump which is at the opposite side from the petrol flap on the car, and you have to stretch the hose to reach (i.e. the hose is stretch almost taut), it takes forever to fill, no matter how far you pull the nozzle out of the filler. The first time this happened to me I told the manager and he reckoned this happens all the time if the hose was stretched. I thought he was bullshitting me as it never used to happen with my Audi (mind you, the stretch wasn't as tight with the Audi). But a couple of weeks later it happened again, at a different pump, it took me nearly 5 minutes to get 12 litres in the tank. I gave up and moved to another pump that became free, which was on the same side of the filler, all worked fine.
I used to wait until a pump was free that was on the right side for the filler as I never liked pulling the hose across the back of the car. But if a pump is free on the "wrong" side I just reverse in.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Gears

Post by Gears »

I drive a Fiesta with the same easy-fuel filler cap from Ford that Volvo uses. Some particular pumps on any forecourt can be a bit sensitive, and cause the issues you are describing. Bit of jiggling and pushing it in further sometimes helps. Rotating the nozzle helps sometimes too. It basically means the fuel is not going down the filler neck quick enough and is triggering the sensor. Not an issue with your car, but an issue with that particular nozzle usually.
Shipsinker

Post by Shipsinker »

Cheers everybody, I am using a pump that is on the right side for the filler, I’ll maybe work my round the forecourt to find a sweet one.

As for nozzle placement I’ll keep working at it

Added on smartphone integration, rear camera, front parking sensors, winter pack and convenience pack
Shipsinker

Post by Shipsinker »

Hi all. Apologies for delay in reporting back, tried a few other pumps on the same forecourt and found one that has worked three times in a row.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

DarrenF wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:21 pm
Shipsinker wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:58 pm i folks, so I’m having problems getting diesel into my xc40 at my local pumps (Asda) . Pump constantly cuts out unless I’m only tickling the handle and filling incredibly slowly.
I have a Petrol so this may have no bearing on your problem but I was told when picking the car up to make sure, when refuelling, to put the petrol nozzle all the way into the refuelling cap. The metal ring on the nozzle actually goes into refuelling cap. I had a similar refuelling cap on a ford focus and you could never fit the nozzle that far into the cap - could that be the problem?

Trying not to be smutty but but no matter how I say this it is... just try sliding it deeper into the refuelling cap. as far as it will go, and give it a try :D :D
👍
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I always use Shell, and no problems fuelling my D3. However, water does seem to accumulate in the filling spout, so I use a paper towel to dry it first.