Automatic folding door mirrors only part open

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Jay Parmar

Post by Jay Parmar »

Hope someone knows the answer! My passenger door mirror does not open fully when the car is unlocked. In comparison to the driver door mirror it is not fully extended and this is clearly evident when you look at the car face on or from the rear.

My car has been to the dealer who says that this is normal for the XC40 and is a ‘unique’ feature of this car and is evidenced in all the other XC40’s they have on their forecourt.

Both myself and the dealership have synchronised the mirrors and the unique feature is still there.

Anyone else had a similar issue. Is it true. Have you checked your wing mirrors to see if they open equal distance or is it a ‘feature’ in which case please can you explain the benefit or reason behind this. Or should the wing mirrors actually both open exactly the same distance i.e. symmetrical.

Thanks in advance for your help. Jay

Xc40 D3 RDesign ordered Nov 2018 delivered April 2019.

sanjaime

Post by sanjaime »

Yes, this appears to be the standard operation on the RHD UK XC40 models.
The passenger side folding door mirror opens less than the drivers side folding door mirror.
This enables the driver to adjust the passenger side door mirror to view near side objects from the drivers seat.
Not sure that it is a 'unique' XC40 feature. I assume the geometry angles dictated the difference in the opening position.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Don’t have this issue on mine.

Have you checked the mirror settings on the centre console?
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I must not have a good eye for such things as, for me, it's not clearly evident from the front or rear.

However, I can clearly see what you mean if you look from above - inside of driver's mirror is parallel with window, passenger side is not.

I actually salute Volvo for going to this trouble. The XC40 follows the trend of mounting on the doors to improve aerodynamics. From sitting in the car you can see that part of the mirror would be obscured by the housing (mirror glass is well inset) if the mirror opened wider.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Hi Carl, have you got photos of what you mean? I don't think I understand and am very curious.
Ordered 11th May 2018
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

hdasmith wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:59 pm Hi Carl, have you got photos of what you mean? I don't think I understand and am very curious.
Life's too short but, if you look down between side of mirror housings and side windows, you'll see the difference.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Silver Moose wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:18 am Life's too short but, if you look down between side of mirror housings and side windows, you'll see the difference.
Fair point. I’ll have a look later. Thanks.
Ordered 11th May 2018
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Same on mine, hadn't noticed before. Just checked other half's new Mini and that is the same, in fact it is more obvious as the mirror mounts are a completely different shape. Trouble is that I will always notice it now!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
Jay Parmar

Post by Jay Parmar »

Thanks for confirming I’m not going insane. I had asked the same question of Volvo customer care UK and they haven’t got an answer yet. I’ll post on here here.

👍🏾
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

Hi
Just checked mine and it’s the same with the mirrors being different
Never noticed before
T5 First edition Crystal White