Turning off the Sensus energy saving function

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Has anybody found out how to stop the Sensus system turning itself off to save energy..?
I have been trying to get the system to download updates via a external wifi connection, but after a few minutes with the engine turned off the Sensus system stop and turns itself off, presumably to prevent draining the battery.
I found a web page about downloading apps (https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/ar ... 51726d91dd) that says
Updating tips: An update takes about 15 minutes and the infotainment system must be on. Use a battery charger or keep the car's engine running while the update is in progress, for example during a journey.
I've tried connecting a battery charger but it appears to make no difference, anybody worked out how to keep the system active while downloading and applying updates - without keeping the engine running?

ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

Try pressing the engine start button for more than 5 seconds. This should turn on the accessories like sensus but not the engine.
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Looks like that works. Seems to be staying on now and updating - thank you

Update:
Having left this on long enough for a couple of map update to be downloaded and applied, it is apparent how much power this ignition position II draws, battery charger can't keep up and became unusually warm. So if anybody has found a better way of keeping the Sensus Connect system active without the whole ignition system and accessories on, i.e. what volvo mean by -
Updating tips: An update takes about 15 minutes and the infotainment system must be on. Use a battery charger or keep the car's engine running while the update is in progress, for example during a journey.
It would be good to know,,, thanks