Worrying message then nothing...

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

On startup today I got an alert in the driver display: repair or service needed, book an appointment. After the message had been dismissed, there was nothing in the car status app or messages list to suggest what fault might exist (and definitely not due a service after 6 weeks of ownership). This happened one more time later on today, exactly the same. I have booked an appointment for 2 weeks hence but should I be bothered or is there any way to find out more detail?

TIA
Gareth
T5R Fusion Red 03/19

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I had a similar thing about oil level being too high a couple of days ago. I haven’t seen anything since, should probably check the dipstick - if it’s got one.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

gmdh555 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:22 pm On startup today I got an alert in the driver display: repair or service needed, book an appointment. After the message had been dismissed, there was nothing in the car status app or messages list to suggest what fault might exist (and definitely not due a service after 6 weeks of ownership). This happened one more time later on today, exactly the same. I have booked an appointment for 2 weeks hence but should I be bothered or is there any way to find out more detail?

TIA
Gareth
The same thing happens to me occasionally, there's no fault in the car. I think that it's just a software glitch.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Had it on mine two or three times - took it in for diagnostic check 1st time but they found nothing.

Since decided it's a software glitch that, for me, only happens in specific circumstances - read below to see if your experience is the same.

What I've realised is that, for me, the system likes you to turn off the ignition, then open door so that ignition switches completely off - anything else & it gets confused.

If, as one often does in a new car, you switch off engine but stay in car fiddling with a few settings, then you turn ignition back to fully on, this is when this message appears.

I'm only going on limited experience, others who have the time & inclination may wish to test my theory.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Silver Moose wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:55 pm Had it on mine two or three times - took it in for diagnostic check 1st time but they found nothing.

Since decided it's a software glitch that, for me, only happens in specific circumstances - read below to see if your experience is the same.

What I've realised is that, for me, the system likes you to turn off the ignition, then open door so that ignition switches completely off - anything else & it gets confused.

If, as one often does in a new car, you switch off engine but stay in car fiddling with a few settings, then you turn ignition back to fully on, this is when this message appears.

I'm only going on limited experience, others who have the time & inclination may wish to test my theory.
That fits almost exactly with my suspicions, but like you I've never bothered to test the theory!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

hdasmith wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:23 pm I had a similar thing about oil level being too high a couple of days ago. I haven’t seen anything since, should probably check the dipstick - if it’s got one.
I've had the same on my D3R about oil level too high. It disappeared the next day. There was never any problems with dipsticks, and you could see if the oil had been changed after a service!
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

Interesting theory that possibly fits. I had moved the car, switched off but not got out (sandwich and a view!) then eventually restarted which was when I got the warning. I do this a lot so maybe i’ll be the one to prove the theory.

Anyway it’s still booked in as I have an annoying creak, but that’s another story.
T5R Fusion Red 03/19
Partcloudy

Post by Partcloudy »

I have a warning message for AdBlue telling me that I only have 380 miles left when the AdBlue tank is full (confirmed in status) and only 2,000 miles on clock, but the message keeps coming back - has anyone else had this issue and is there a quick fix?
ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

@Partcloudy,
i had similar problem and after following a tip found on the net:
- simply remove the Adblue cap cover
- wait for 5 min (this is supposed to let any trapped air leave the tank)
- put the cap cover back
Error is gone after a few hours (not immediately).

I think its worth trying the above before going to the dealer, good luck.
grime

Post by grime »

G'day,

We took delivery of a new T4 in early December 2018, from the first days we have had a mysterious alert message displayed which the local service department have investigated and have referred to Volvo Australia and Volvo factory technical support (in China?). Currently we are waiting for resolution as the factory team investigate the data they have downloaded.

The problem alert message is "unknown car part service required, unknown car part found" with the alert message remaining 'on' til it is reset by the service department (which requires making a booking for their convenience and travelling to and from the dealer at our inconvenience)! This alert message is shown in the drivers display and first appears just after the vehicle is started and the master processor has completed the initialization and status checks, etc. We have been advised that we can continue to drive our vehicle with this message displayed and it doesn't seem to have any effect on vehicle performance, of course, we can acknowledge the message which removes it from the display til the next time the vehicle is restarted.

I am very interested in this new thread about unexplained messages and will be interested in reading about other similar experiences that you may have had. Hopefully the factory nerds also read these forums to see what is worrying the owners of their products!

My thoughts are that there is some device (perhaps a sub processor, sensor or actuator) that doesn't always communicate correctly with the master processor at initialization somewhere in the vehicle. Finding what it is is going to be difficult however if there are other vehicles with similar problems it may be possible to accumulate a body of data that points to the source of the problem.

Perhaps it is possible that this is connected to some of the reports of unexplained events that change the display on the centrally located main display screen. Ours has done a few odd things without any initiation.

I did post a more detailed story in a different thread which is the 'introductions' thread and my entry has the header "introduction from the land of OZ", see this link if you wish to have a look viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1154#p10145

regards, grime