Roof noise with rain

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
silvas

Post by silvas »

senwar wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:16 am With the lovely weather this weekend I’ve had my roof open for first time in a while.

Anyway, noticed the rivet/screws on the wind deflector are rusted. That isn’t right surely. Also, the roof judders quite wildly when closing.

It’s in next week for the service but won’t lie this is beginning to p me off.
My screws from the wind deflector have the same problem… All rusted only after 4 months!!!
I reported the problem to the dealer and i'm waiting for a replacement for 2 months…
I had another expectation on Volvo brand but unfortunatly my experience it's being a bit disappointing.

senwar

Post by senwar »

Had mine in today. Initially fobbed off by saying lubricant will sort it but later advised there is a technical bulletin out for this issue (they mentioned the issue with the screen folding wrong) and it's booked in again on 10th May.

I agree with you silvas though, its disappointing it really is
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Gjf7622

Post by Gjf7622 »

Had its first years service today. Reported to dealer that for past few weeks when closing sunroof it shudders. Picked it up tonight and they want it back over two days as the cassette will need to be replaced. Seems this is happening with other XC40's
senwar

Post by senwar »

Gjf7622 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:52 pm Had its first years service today. Reported to dealer that for past few weeks when closing sunroof it shudders. Picked it up tonight and they want it back over two days as the cassette will need to be replaced. Seems this is happening with other XC40's
Interesting. Mine has gone back in today for what i think is the fifth time re the sunroof. However second time re the judder and they mentioned cassette to me too. First time they’ve ever mentioned that so got to be a wider issue as you say.
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

Mine went in the other day for sunroof judder, they told me the technical bulletin says to try adjusting the roof first before replacing the whole cassette.
Fingers crossed it seems to have resolved mine as changing the cassette is a major job with roof lining etc all needing to be removed to replace it.
T5 First edition Crystal White
senwar

Post by senwar »

Michaelxc40 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:14 am Mine went in the other day for sunroof judder, they told me the technical bulletin says to try adjusting the roof first before replacing the whole cassette.
Fingers crossed it seems to have resolved mine as changing the cassette is a major job with roof lining etc all needing to be removed to replace it.
That’s what was done with mine but within 2 uses the judder was back. I really hope they sort it this time as I’m getting fed up now.
senwar

Post by senwar »

Well well well. Now just been told it is fixed and they have 'adjusted the sliders' as the previous fix of just greasing it hadn't worked. This is not what I was expecting to hear.

So, it was in for a full day previously and they just greased it. When I asked them on collection last time what they'd actually done 'not sure, but the technicians followed a bulletin'

Had they told me then they'd just greased it I wouldn't have taken the car back as no way would that have fixed it.

I hope this fixes the fault, but I'm not the happiest person at the moment. My dealer is 20 miles away and I'm not prepared to keep going back and forth. I have a closer dealer now but I want this dealer to sort this problem given I've had a sunroof issue since the first few weeks.
Howjay

Post by Howjay »

I have the identical symptoms. Only when wet and only above 45 mph. Did you ever get a resolution to this problem?
2019 XC40 Inscription. North American
senwar

Post by senwar »

Sadly no.

Mine happened again yesterday after a bit of rain and this time at low speed. Seriously annoying.
silvas

Post by silvas »

Hi everyone,
It seems that the problem has already been identified by Volvo. It's not a recall, but for everyone who reports the problem, they already have a solution. It seems that the noise comes from the water discharge pipe and there is a change to be made to correct the problem.
I will make this correction in the next maintenance!