Roof noise with rain

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
senwar

Post by senwar »

Well mine has been in 4 times (possibly 5) and this fault is still apparent on mine including a soaked fly screen when it rains (roof shut)

How are you aware of the problem being identified by Volvo and when is this from? Mine was last in 3 weeks ago.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels

silvas

Post by silvas »

senwar wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:50 pm Well mine has been in 4 times (possibly 5) and this fault is still apparent on mine including a soaked fly screen when it rains (roof shut)

How are you aware of the problem being identified by Volvo and when is this from? Mine was last in 3 weeks ago.
Hi senwar
I went to the Volvo workshop because of the rusty bolts on the roof wind deflector and when I spoke about the noise they said they knew already and that I could schedule to make the correction.
senwar

Post by senwar »

The is silvas. I may try a different dealership and explain my disappointment of elsewhere and see ant they say. The rusted rivets really bug me.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
ploscnicu

Post by ploscnicu »

silvas wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:56 pm Hi everyone,
It seems that the problem has already been identified by Volvo. It's not a recall, but for everyone who reports the problem, they already have a solution. It seems that the noise comes from the water discharge pipe and there is a change to be made to correct the problem.
I will make this correction in the next maintenance!
Hey, can you tell us where is this pipe located? Next ro the windscreen?
kb139

Post by kb139 »

Hi! I have a 2020 XC40 T5 R design bought end of May 2020. Noise is heard only when it rains and seemed to come from the passenger side outside mirror, although my husband thought roof. It went in today to dealer for this and a center screen black out that happened two days ago (screen came back on after I parked and then when I used the car again). Center screen was an update patch to software and the noise was attributed to a passenger side wheel arched liner that they had a 'fix' for. They had heard about this noise before my complaint. Its dry here today and I only hear it when it has rained or is raining so time will tell!
virtualal

Post by virtualal »

Hi - the gurgling noise is a known fault. The drain pipes need extending where they enter the engine bay. The xc40 Facebook forum have the repair sheets from Volvo if your dealer is having selective brain fade on this well known issue !
T5 R Design Hybrid
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

The weird gurgling noise from the sunroof when travelling at speed in (or just after) rain is a known problem and all dealers should now be aware of the fix - which involves extending the two drainage tubes. The official fix was issued in the summer and mine was done during its first service last month after I reported it as a fault. Extending the drainage tubes sounds simple, but it does involve a fair bit of dismantling under the bonnet and around the wipers to get at the problem area.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
scol

Post by scol »

Hi All,

I experienced this on the M11 yesterday during torrential rain. It sounded like a flat tyre at first but there were no other indications so I assumed that maybe it was a piece of loose trim (mudflap) or something stuck under the car. I pulled off of the motorway to check and could not find anything that might account for the noise. Shortly after getting back up to speed, the conditions improved and the noise went away but it was very disconcerting. Upon getting home I hit the web and found multiple mentions of the issue. What really surprises me is that my car was built long after the suppoosed fix was identified so why have Volvo not addressed this on the production line? I will ask the dealer to apply the fix when the car goes in for its first service. Pleased to report that outside of this, the XC40 handled the conditions really well.
March 2021 B4 AWD R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with all the toys.
Eadas

Post by Eadas »

I had the same problem and after two visits to the Volvo dealership no solution was found.
I search the Internet and found a Volvo Technical bulletin issued in the USA regarding this problem. They supply a modification kit over there to overcome this problem which involves increasing the length of the drainage tubes.
I gave this information to my Volvo dealership who advised me the kit wasn't available in Europe.
How ever they obtained some tube of the correct type, lengthen the existing and hey presto the noise vanished.
I'm a happy chappy it was driving me mad, so much so I wouldn't take the car out in the rain.
Hope this helps others!
AndyN

Post by AndyN »

I have just had the fix applied to my 2020 car at the dealer.
Not driven in heavy rain yet but presume it solves the problem.

It's a known issue with a Technical Journal for it so any dealer should know about it.
MY21 T5 Recharge R Design Pro in Bursting Blue with all the options. I have added mud flaps, floor and boot protection and Polestar, with 2 years service and warranty.