Oil Level Warning

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

After around 3700 miles in a D3R, the warning sign has come on that my oil level is too high, and to get it booked in for an oil service. I have previously been warned that my AdBlue needed topping up when it didn't! Cars are getting too complicated in my opinion, what is wrong with a dipstick? and you can see if the oil has been changed after a service! Anyway, will book it in for a software update.

stu22

Post by stu22 »

Assuming they don't have a dipstick now then????
Would be a little concerned if it's found to have high oil level......
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

ACertainAge wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:15 am After around 3700 miles in a D3R, the warning sign has come on that my oil level is too high, and to get it booked in for an oil service. I have previously been warned that my AdBlue needed topping up when it didn't! Cars are getting too complicated in my opinion, what is wrong with a dipstick? and you can see if the oil has been changed after a service! Anyway, will book it in for a software update.
My oil level is showing at just under max.....has done just over 7K.
I don't what the level was when it was new though so not sure if or how much it has risen.
If it has risen then I guess i must be to do with interrupted dpf regenerations.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Don't know if there's an issue with any Volvo engines but, high oil level is not something to be taken lightly.

Modern engines have become so heat-efficient that some don't reach optimum temperature if used on a lot of short runs.

Fuel finds its way beyond piston rings and, if engine doesn't get hot enough, doesn't burn off and it dilutes the oil.

Whilst researching various cars, I found out that this had become a serious issue with the Honda CRV - so much so that it was withdrawn from the Chinese market when the Chinese watchdog declared their recall 'solution' as cr@p.

Don't nanny your engine when running in & avoid too many short trips.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Silver Moose wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:51 am Don't know if there's an issue with any Volvo engines but, high oil level is not something to be taken lightly.

Modern engines have become so heat-efficient that some don't reach optimum temperature if used on a lot of short runs.

Fuel finds its way beyond piston rings and, if engine doesn't get hot enough, doesn't burn off and it dilutes the oil.

Whilst researching various cars, I found out that this had become a serious issue with the Honda CRV - so much so that it was withdrawn from the Chinese market when the Chinese watchdog declared their recall 'solution' as cr@p.

Don't nanny your engine when running in & avoid too many short trips.
This was exactly where I was going with my previous comment - high oil level in a diesel is not a good sign, hence be good to check on dipstick if it has one.....
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Honda problem was with petrol engine.

I'm not smart enough to know which has bigger problem but, thinking out loud, diesel has handicap of slower to warm up - petrol is thinner & can get past rings more easily??

Petrol in oil is also possibly more noticeable to the nose??
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Had a turbo diesel car with too much oil in the engine, it self grenade after it was turned off.

Also had a Honda petrol engine car, the oil change interval was pathetic at every 5000 miles or six months :?
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

pp67 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:28 am My oil level is showing at just under max.....has done just over 7K.
I don't what the level was when it was new though so not sure if or how much it has risen.
If it has risen then I guess i must be to do with interrupted dpf regenerations.
Checked mine shortly after pickup & was a gnat's whisker under max so, I guess that's how they're filled from the factory.

Possibly a consolation for anyone with an over-filled notification - maybe very small in % terms.
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

ACertainAge wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:15 am After around 3700 miles in a D3R, the warning sign has come on that my oil level is too high, and to get it booked in for an oil service. I have previously been warned that my AdBlue needed topping up when it didn't! Cars are getting too complicated in my opinion, what is wrong with a dipstick? and you can see if the oil has been changed after a service! Anyway, will book it in for a software update.
Update. After stopping and restarting, the warning notice disappeared from the dashboard, although the electronic gauge was still red and showed oil level too high. The next day, all was normal again. In my opinion, cars are too reliant on temperamental electronics. What could go wrong with a dipstick?
burnhammer

Post by burnhammer »

Hi, I had this a few weeks back. It is a known fault apparently. It was fixed under warranty, new sensor and oil change.