Car To Home WiFi

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
DieselDoug

Post by DieselDoug »

Hello All

I am having trouble trying to connect the car to the house router(BT hub)
Car picks up the signal but get this message on screen to change WPA2(AES)
on device.
Anybody in the U.K. have this problem?

A51FBDA4-EB4B-4B4F-B6B6-27BA0621C30F.jpeg

XC40 FE Fusion Red ,19” Wheels ,No Skooshers, Delivered 02/06/18

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I has a similar issue with a non-BT mesh wifi system. I set up my guest wifi and the Volvo connected to that fine without the error
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
walkbrush

Post by walkbrush »

I'm guessing the issue is just what it says...

Your router is set to TKIP, while Sensus only supports AES. Which isn't surprising, as the former is considered insecure and obsolete, while the latter is much more preferred these days.

https://www.howtogeek.com/204697/wi-fi- ... p-or-both/

You should change your router config. Cheers.
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

The message to change to wpa2 indicates that a network is open, ie has no encryption. It will work fine but traffic can be picked up by anyone and may be used against you in some way. This is certainly true of BT wi-fi Fon, which is the bandwidth used by your BT router for anyone physically close enough to the router to pick up a signal and use it, if they have a BT broadband account. FON networks should not be a risk if left open. The BT wi-fi hot spot system requires them to be open, but if there is any doubt, the router sharing service can I think be switched off.

If the message is coming up for the HUB network it must mean that it has no encryption either. It may have been switched off or was never on. (Very ) old routers had to have security switched on but new routers will have it set on by default.

In your case wpa, which was relatively insecure to hacking, needs to be upgraded to wpa2. Log in to your router from a browser entering ip address 192.168.1.254 in the search bar. The admin password will be needed to access settings to enable better encryption assuming the router supports it. It may not, since if it did, it would be selected by default. Only a newer router will then help.
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel
DieselDoug

Post by DieselDoug »

Thanks walkbrush and drjamesr for your reply’s.
Will log into my router this evening and see how it goes.
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

I get exactly the same message when connecting to my BTHub5 despite it being set to WPA2. However, it still allows me to connect ok. I’m wondering if its something to do with my wifi range extender?
D4 Auto Design Pro, Crystal White,
DieselDoug

Post by DieselDoug »

Car now connects to home wifi😁
Thanks again to Walkbrush and Drjamesr👍
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

DieselDoug. Now your car is connecting to your BTHub has the message changed? I can connect to my BTHub but get the following message even though my Hub is set to WPA2(AES).

41580B64-B5F2-48B2-A321-9DDA45778407.jpeg

DieselDoug

Post by DieselDoug »

Yes it has.

It now shows signal strength on the left,BTHub3-TCTK in the middle and a tick box on the right for the network.
Tapped the tick box and the car connected.

It did take a few attempts at first before the car picked up the network.
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

DieselDoug. Thanks for your help. I’ve just discovered that my problem lies with the firmware of the TPLink RE450 wifi range extender that i use to get a good wifi signal to my garage. There is a firmware update available that says it fixes the wireless compatibility with Volvo cars. I just need to do the update and hopefully all should be ok.