Wireless Charging Woes

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
xc40nz

Post by xc40nz »

Rifleman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:52 pm Sounds like your you are spending a lot of time,effort and money on getting a gadget to work that you don’t really need.
I assume the QI USB plastic bag thingy plugs into your phone’s power socket and charges it by induction between the car’s charger pad and the coil in the bag?. If so then any advantage of the “Wireless” charging goes out the window, you still have to plug the gadget into the phone so what’s the point. A lot easier and cheaper to use a short usb cable to connect the phone to the car usb socket....
My phone already has a case. All I have to do is plug in the coil once and let it rest between the phone & the case. That way, every time I enter the car all I have to do is place the phone on the car's wireless charging pad, which I've been doing anyway (even before I purchased the coil). Sure beats having to plug the phone into usb every time I enter the car.

Now if only I could get the damn coil to work... :evil:
T4 Inscription + all options + sport pedals ;)

xc40nz

Post by xc40nz »

USB wireless charging pad arrived in the mail yesterday. The Qi receiver in my original post works just fine. No sparking, no interruption. Looks like there's something wrong with the car's wireless charging pad then.
T4 Inscription + all options + sport pedals ;)
Spikebyt

Post by Spikebyt »

Anyone here who knows how much power the "Volvo Qi-charger" in our XC40 delivers.
Could not find it on-line, but my guess it that it's a 10 Watt model
XC40 T5 AWD First Edition in Ice White with Blonde interior and Scandinavian Pack
(Parking heater and heated steering wheel plus heated rear seats)