Double issue ; loss of power and city safety

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Graad

Post by Graad »

Hello,

I am going to try to describe my two issues as best as i Can as english is not my mothertongue. ;)
I am often excperiencing two issues with my T3 Momentum version that i own for a month now :
- First one is that i sometimes have a loss of power on the highway, 6th speed, when the road starts to climb. I don't know the reason, it happened more than a couple times (dynamic mode or not), but it scares as i lose power and speed for 1-2 seconds.
- Second issue is the City Safety occurs almost everyday for absolutely no reason. I am on a perfect straight road with nothing in front, behind or next to me and the City Safety alarm will show up and the car will break a little bit.

Am i the only one to encounter these issues ?
T3 Momentum Aluminium grey + blond interior.
Order date : June 1st 2018.
Delivery Date : February 4th 2019. :D

Graad

Post by Graad »

Update: last Friday, many alarms appeared (seat belt, ESC, ESP, etc ... all disabled).
I had to leave the car at the dealership and she will take a look.
They suspect a weasel but I have a doubt because I had no problem to come in the morning, it's when I wanted to drive the car at noon that the problems appeared (or so it was progressive...)
Graad

Post by Graad »

I keep my monologue in case others than me would encounter this problem. ;)
I got news, it seems a module creates a short circuit, i hop to get more news tomorrow.
They said the spare part is in stock so it should be pretty quick.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Good that they seem to have found the issue, fingers crossed.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Graad

Post by Graad »

Update : I got my car.
The seat belt issue and other things like ESP, ESC, etc.. are no longer there, they have replaced the module.

But, I still encounter the City Safety issue, so I will have to bring the car again.
They said they saw nothing during the diagnostic, so I don't know how to explain the issue. It's so random that they should drive until they reproduce it.
To explain better, I found a video (in french, sorry) that shows the issue (11m30) :
Graad

Post by Graad »

Regarding the City Safety, the Radar was badly calibrated.
They fixed it.
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

Thanks for sharing - my City Safety has triggered 4 times in 4 weeks of ownership for no apparent reason.
T5R Fusion Red 03/19
Fc3237

Post by Fc3237 »

I’ve had exactly the same problem regarding the loss of power and the dealership are at a complete loss as to the cause. It’s always whilst at speed generally at speed or up a hill and between 2000-3000rp. Has yours been solved and if so what was it?
Blue Velvet

Post by Blue Velvet »

Hello Graad,
I have precisely the same issues.
I have a xc40 Momentum Pro D3 Red with blonde interior.
The City Safety device occurs with nothing close by (front or both sides), red flashing car appears and slight breaking applied, it makes me jump out of my skin...maybe my seat next time!

The dealership is picking it up today for further investigations.
Keeping fingers crossed.

Contact the dealership and do not back down until rectified, as it is manufacturing fault.
Momentum Pro D3
Red Fusion ;)
Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

Graad wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:13 am Update: last Friday, many alarms appeared (seat belt, ESC, ESP, etc ... all disabled).
I had to leave the car at the dealership and she will take a look.
They suspect a weasel but I have a doubt because I had no problem to come in the morning, it's when I wanted to drive the car at noon that the problems appeared (or so it was progressive...)
Does the city safety alert on the same stretch of road? The reason I ask is that in the UK the Volvo city safety system was credited with detecting a gas leak, ie the sensors could pic up the gas particles as an object and braked. That would only make sense if it happens at the same point each time?

Other than that have you adjusted the sensitivity? There are three levels the max level warns very early.