Heating Controls

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Drumsmith

Post by Drumsmith »

Wonder if somebody out there can help. Is it possible to have the heating on (any temperature) and not have the fan on at the same time? As soon as I turn the fan 'off', the heating goes off. i just want to have heat, or cold, on in the car without the fan blasting away. Cheers.

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

How would the car warm you (or cool) without the fan passing the hot (or cold) air into the cabin?

You can turn the fan speed down.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
StewartM

Post by StewartM »

Referring to 'ram' effect from the forward motion of the car. Doesn't work too well these days, especially if a pollen filter is fitted.
Drumsmith

Post by Drumsmith »

Thanks for the replies folks. On every car I've had in the past, bm's, Hyundai, Honda's, Merc's, you could have the temp set at hot or cold to heat or cool the car without having to have the noisy fan on. So it seems I can turn it down to an annoying hum, but not off then? Grrrr.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I’ve never had that on any previous cars. You could set the temperature. But without the fan, nothing would happen.
Ordered 11th May 2018
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Not something I've come across through my car ownership.

Also worth noting that it's generally seen as good practice to keep the system on to maintain air circulation through the car to prevent misting etc, and keeping the aircon on keeps that system in good health, preventing seals from drying out and needing work.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
TrevG

Post by TrevG »

Many years ago older vehicles did exactly what you say you could set the controls to heat or cool , and the forced air flow was enough to heat or cool the cabin but unfortunately modern cars have pollen filters and clean air systems that restrict the through flow of air and a fan is required to overcome the restrictions
XC40 R Design T4 Fusion Red, winter pack, electric tailgate,Sunroof, reversing camera, mud flaps ,boot liner, fitted rubber mats, and spare wheel
Drumsmith

Post by Drumsmith »

Thanks for clearing that up TrevG. Was starting to think it was just MY cars that did it! Even on the lowest setting, I do find the fan intrusive. Also, every now and again it bursts into life and the quietens down again. Just annoying.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Thanks TrevG, makes sense.
Ordered 11th May 2018
malkyxc40

Post by malkyxc40 »

At slow speed fan is inconspicuous and not " blasting"