Mysterious knocking/rattle

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
abby606

Post by abby606 »

I've been back to the dealer, and I'm not joking, 7 times. They must have replaced every part of the steering and suspension by this point. Still not resolved :(

Got an XC90 for my last courtesy car, so that was nice. I've also had multiple V40's and V60's. The 60's and 90's seem better built.

SquirrelGT

Post by SquirrelGT »

abby606 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:53 pm I've been back to the dealer, and I'm not joking, 7 times. They must have replaced every part of the steering and suspension by this point. Still not resolved :(

Got an XC90 for my last courtesy car, so that was nice. I've also had multiple V40's and V60's. The 60's and 90's seem better built.
This doesn't bode well for us. Already started reading up on grounds to reject the car, just in case.
T4 R-Design Pro | Osmium Grey | Ordered 13th Oct | Scheduled Delivery 18th Feb
Ratbag

Post by Ratbag »

I took my car back last week and again was told that it was stones that was the problem. The stones were cleared but already the next day the sound was just as bad. I’m really not convinced that it’s stones that are the cause of the problem. The tyres are due to get changed next week so I will see what happens then.
SquirrelGT

Post by SquirrelGT »

Update - Our issue appears to be resolved.

They have waxed the CV area and it's due a second waxing in a couple of weeks. Been running the car for over a week and the problem isn't evident.

So far so good! Decent service from Volvo on the matter.
Ratbag

Post by Ratbag »

What is the CV area?
SquirrelGT

Post by SquirrelGT »

Ratbag wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:54 pm What is the CV area?
CV joint i presume.
SquirrelGT

Post by SquirrelGT »

CV joint has had it's second waxing and we've not heard any knocking/rattling since the first application.
CaliforniaDreaming

Post by CaliforniaDreaming »

I bought an XC40 in California in May of 2019. Within a few months it developed two rattling noises.

1. Buzzing noises coming from the steering column when driving over rough roads at higher speeds (60mph).
2. Buzzing noises coming from the rear right pillar area when driving at low speeds (10-30mph) on any surface. This one is most similar to the other reports on this thread. This one is far more noticeable than the first one.

I should note that to my ear, the noises are not drivetrain rattles. They sound like trim pieces or loose connectors or some such making noise as you drive. Either way, they are irritating!

I took the car in for service. The dealer tried to fix #2. They said they found a loose screw on the right tail light and tightened it. It got rid of the noise for literally one single day and then it came back. I’m taking the car in again next week. I’ll update you guys.
CaliforniaDreaming

Post by CaliforniaDreaming »

Also, is anybody else annoyed that a “luxury” car is making noises in less than a year?? I have a Mazda 3 that’s 8 years old and it’s never rattled. I’m annoyed at Volvo. Please pile on if you are too. Maybe with enough annoyed customers they’ll do a recall and fix it for everybody.
Botash1

Post by Botash1 »

I'm describing it as a creaking at low speed and it hasn't bothered me much until I read these posts. Otherwise the car is excellent. I'll have it checked then post again