Mysterious knocking/rattle

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Botash1 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:30 pm I'm describing it as a creaking at low speed and it hasn't bothered me much until I read these posts. Otherwise the car is excellent. I'll have it checked then post again
In the last week I've noticed a creaking noise I think from the front right - makes creaky noises when manoeuvring out of the drive and when going over speed bumps - very odd as it's only on 20,000 miles and 1.25yrs.
I think I'll wait to see if it develops further before a trip to the dealer as I've found my first visit I usually get fobbed off until issues get worse!
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)

marobinson1977

Post by marobinson1977 »

Just bought a new T3 Inscription. It rattles louder than a rattlesnake. Sounds like it's coming from the glovebox, dashboard area. Sometimes the A pillar too. Deeply annoying and spoiling an otherwise lovely motor.
T3 Inscription
ambirad

Post by ambirad »

Same issue here, received my new XC40 Momentum on Friday.
Immediately when driving / taking off at low speeds, 10mph+ - I hear this rattle noise.

Taking it in for a look, will update with the findings.
RaulSM

Post by RaulSM »

Same noise/rattle here, but only on temperatures above 25 degrees Celsius. Dealer checked the car, but didn't find anything wrong. Did someone find the rattle?

Regards,

RSM.
RaulSM

Post by RaulSM »

Warning: English is not my native language, so I will do my best to explain the origin and solution of the noise in the car.

After months of trial and error and taking the car to the dealer 3 times, I discovered that the noise is not coming from the back of the car as it seems, but from the front. To find out, I lubricated each rubber component of the front suspension one by one with a silicone based spray oil. When it was the turn to lubricate the upper suspension mount, the noise increased dramatically.

I waited until the silicone oil had dried, and applied a motorcycle chain lube and the noise finally disappeared. Now it's been 2 weeks totally free of noise.

I attach a photo where I indicate with a red arrow the points where the lubricant should be applied, which corresponds to the drainage of the upper suspension mount. I also indicate with green arrows where the entire visible rubber contour should be lubricated. It is important to use a motorcycle chain lubricant that is compatible with oring chains, so that the suspension rubber is not degraded. I used a Liqui Moly "KettenSpray" which is liquid when applied, so it can get in between the little spaces, but then it dries out. If someone thinks it's necessary, I can post a picture of the lubricant I used.

Lube.jpg

I will also let the dealer know the source of the problem so they can check it more thoroughly and determine if any suspension components need to be replaced or if lubrication is sufficient.

I hope this will help someone solve this problem, as it almost drove me crazy.

Regards,

RSM.
RaulSM

Post by RaulSM »

I almost forgot, I also re-tightened the 3 nuts on the top suspension mount that you see in the picture above.
Pelat1

Post by Pelat1 »

Hi all, I'm experiencing a sound issue with the t3 geartronic: it ticks and rattles under acceleration. The rattle appears when the RPM approach 2,000, in movement, I cannot hear it while revving in neutral. It's sound like a valve issue. The car is new, and the dealer told me that's the normal t3 engine sound...but I'm struggling to accept it...anyone experienced the same?
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

RaulSM wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:51 pm Warning: English is not my native language, so I will do my best to explain the origin and solution of the noise in the car.

After months of trial and error and taking the car to the dealer 3 times, I discovered that the noise is not coming from the back of the car as it seems, but from the front. To find out, I lubricated each rubber component of the front suspension one by one with a silicone based spray oil. When it was the turn to lubricate the upper suspension mount, the noise increased dramatically.

I waited until the silicone oil had dried, and applied a motorcycle chain lube and the noise finally disappeared. Now it's been 2 weeks totally free of noise.

I attach a photo where I indicate with a red arrow the points where the lubricant should be applied, which corresponds to the drainage of the upper suspension mount. I also indicate with green arrows where the entire visible rubber contour should be lubricated. It is important to use a motorcycle chain lubricant that is compatible with oring chains, so that the suspension rubber is not degraded. I used a Liqui Moly "KettenSpray" which is liquid when applied, so it can get in between the little spaces, but then it dries out. If someone thinks it's necessary, I can post a picture of the lubricant I used.

Lube.jpg

I will also let the dealer know the source of the problem so they can check it more thoroughly and determine if any suspension components need to be replaced or if lubrication is sufficient.

I hope this will help someone solve this problem, as it almost drove me crazy.

Regards,

RSM.
I think this might be the cause of my noise. When the car is cold, no noise. After driving it for 10 miles, noise appears. If you rock the steering wheel it can be heard (I’m parked up when rocking). It could be the rubber mount flexing when warm??
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
stavakol

Post by stavakol »

I have also similar noise at low speed from rear of the carny new XC40.
I Have bought my XC 40 two months ago and also noticed a Rattle or Knocking noise from the rear at low speed. Specially when going on bumps on the road It disappears at high speed or I cannot hear it.
I have removed any loose items from the rear but still the noise is there.
I have been to two separate dealers at three occasions and they have not been able to be certain where it comes from. One fixed it but it only lasted two days and came back. he thought it was from the rear cargo door lock.
it is either from the rear cargo door or the body of the car from the rear.
however still can be heard if you leave the rear cargo door open and drive very slowly intact it is lauder if the rear door is open. It seems comes from the body of the car frame from rear right hand side.
I think I have to live with it until Volvo figures it out where it come from.
It is good to know other people have the same problem too and is not just me.
I have an XC90 and V40 with no issues. I had previous Volvo cars, in fact we are Volvo family. This annoying noise is so uncharacteristic of Volvo
stavakol

Post by stavakol »

I have had exactly same Knocking noise from the rear of my new xc40 at low speed too.