Car wouldn't start

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ProMo-T3

Post by ProMo-T3 »

Anyone had any strange issues arise yet?
Asking because after 3 months of problem free driving, I went to start the car, the engine fired and it went through the green light check system (between the dials) as normal but then the engine turned off as well as the electrics.

This happened 6 times in a row. Pushed the on call button above the rear view mirror and it rang 999 instead of the call centre! Car started eventually but no error messages flashed up and there's nothing in the system log either. Wondered if anyone had something similar?
B4 Inscription Pro AWD in Glacier Silver with all extra packs 12th Oct 21
Previously had a T3 Momentum Pro in Ice White for 3 years with tinted rears and 19's

morrsn

Post by morrsn »

Yup, it happened to me just once a couple of months ago like 6 times in a row as well with 1,500 kms driven lol.

Felt like the rpms went too low after startup causing the car to stall. It has never happened again. Recently took the car in for some warranty issues and mentioned it to the dealer. Diagnostics came back ok with no error codes. Crossing fingers it doesnt happen again.
Malc71

Post by Malc71 »

Same thing has just happened to me. Again it happened about six times then started normally. Does anyone know what causes it or has been given an answer by Volvo?
NDK

Post by NDK »

Had new xc40 since October 2018 no issues until April 2019 when l press start rpm dial goes through normal start up then goes to off tried it 5/6 times. Same happened today 8 may, called roadside assistance when they came it started- no problems. Was told if it happens again leave key in car so car will not reset system and they maybe able to sort problem. But as l had locked the car and walked away it had reset system and started first time.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

morrsn wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:01 pm Yup, it happened to me just once a couple of months ago like 6 times in a row as well with 1,500 kms driven lol.
Malc71 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:46 pm Same thing has just happened to me. Again it happened about six times then started normally. Does anyone know what causes it or has been given an answer by Volvo?
NDK wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:23 pm Had new xc40 since October 2018 no issues until April 2019 when l press start rpm dial goes through normal start up then goes to off tried it 5/6 times.
Do you all have the T3 manual?
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
ProMo-T3

Post by ProMo-T3 »

It happened to me again a few weeks ago for the 2nd time and the dealer can't find any error codes and software is up to date. I got out of the car after 12 attempts to start it, locked the doors then unlocked it and got in and started all over again and it started 1st time.
B4 Inscription Pro AWD in Glacier Silver with all extra packs 12th Oct 21
Previously had a T3 Momentum Pro in Ice White for 3 years with tinted rears and 19's
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Had something similar with my wife’s old Kuga - found out it was caused by her fiddling with the remote fob! Apparently after so many presses it locked out the immobiliser and only way to recover was to lock and unlock he car again.

May be similar?
spoon_1

Post by spoon_1 »

any volvo solution?

i have the same problem - on warranty they have changed ignition switch and upgraded software - was ok more than half a year but 2 days ago happened again.
t3 manual
spoon_1

Post by spoon_1 »

Important message:
When reporting a problem to a dealer, be sure to have a report sent to the headquarters.
According to what the electrician told me in the service, without this - the report does not go to the Volvo headquarters, but an attempt is made to solve the problem at the dealer level.
according to what I was told - the report of my car, which was sent on Thursday, was the first of its type to reach the Volvo headquarters - they say that they have not had such a problem reported so far.
Rigel

Post by Rigel »

I had this problem in April 2019. After spending a 15min trying to start I activated Volvo on Call, they took all details and were about to despatch support, when I suggested I will try one more time. This time it started. It is now May 2022 and I have experienced exactly the same problem and resolution for the second time. I will report it to the dealership, an take the advice posted on the 31st Jan 2022