Emissions Warning Light

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deleted User 2675

Post by Deleted User 2675 »

My emmisions warning light hasn't come on yet. Should I take it to my dealer and complain?

Deleted User 2504

Post by Deleted User 2504 »

Well it wasn’t the particulate filter or a rogue sensor. It has a split in the air manifold. Took the mechanic 2 hours and good old Squeezy to find it.

Part ordered (from Sweden) and booked in for next Friday.
Deleted User 2504

Post by Deleted User 2504 »

Builderman5 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:03 pm Well it wasn’t the particulate filter or a rogue sensor. It has a split in the air manifold. Took the mechanic 2 hours and good old Squeezy to find it.

Part ordered (from Sweden) and booked in for next Friday.
All sorted. Slick service from the dealer, even with COVID restrictions.

On another note, was lent a brand new T4 as a courtesy car. Couldn’t tell the difference between that and my T3 🤷🏼‍♂️
CesarCastro

Post by CesarCastro »

Mine is in dealer because of one year of Emissons Warning Light.
Finally Sweden guys allowed substituion of filter.
Before sensor was substituted but things remained the same.
Have to wait till next monday for part.
Comes from Sweden.

We will see.
XC40 T3
Norenlang

Post by Norenlang »

Hey y’all,

I’m here to contribute another story of an emissions light issue with the 2020 XC40. Two months to the day of getting my special ordered XC40 the emissions light came on. I also noticed that the forward thrust became labored. Then I realized how high my RPMs were going low speed. It started when I was on a trip to pick up some take out. Car was fine going there. When I got back into the car to head back home it started. I have 4,081 miles on my car. I haven’t brought it in, will do Monday. I’ll come back and let you all know how it plays out. I too am a bit disappointed in Volvo right now. Had a C30 for ten years that had zero issues from the manufacturer.

18590922-2DDF-4112-98EC-F223CAAEE058.jpeg

Deleted User 2507

Post by Deleted User 2507 »

Me Three, can I join. 8000 miles in a Recharge. Car just wouldn't start after using up the battery today. Just kept saying check system. Left it for 10 mins and maybe it reset itself but it started. Sounded a bit rough though, but I think the engine was just super cold and had been on battery before. Is starting every time now but the emission light is on. Will give it a 30 min blast anyway in the next few days and if it doesn't clear will book it in.

It really isn't a good car, far too many bugs for me.
goi

Post by goi »

Norenlang wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:17 pm Hey y’all,

I’m here to contribute another story of an emissions light issue with the 2020 XC40. Two months to the day of getting my special ordered XC40 the emissions light came on. I also noticed that the forward thrust became labored. Then I realized how high my RPMs were going low speed. It started when I was on a trip to pick up some take out. Car was fine going there. When I got back into the car to head back home it started. I have 4,081 miles on my car. I haven’t brought it in, will do Monday. I’ll come back and let you all know how it plays out. I too am a bit disappointed in Volvo right now. Had a C30 for ten years that had zero issues from the manufacturer.
It depends strongly on your driving cycle: If you did the must of the 4081 miles with electric engine and only a very small but still significant part of it using the combustion engine, the catalyst needs to be "regenerated", thus changing the stoichiometry for regeneration. But in this case the car needs to stay on combustion engine. I remember some recommendation, that you drive at least between two tank stops for at least 20 minutes with more than 45 miles/h using the combustion engine.

If you fail doing so, the catalyst cannot regenerate and it's efficiency will drop drastically and the lambda probe will return critical values resulting in the "emission warning" light.
since 2023: XC40 Pure Electric Twin Motor Ultimate MY24
since 2020: Mirai II Fuel Cell, MY21
2020-2023 XC40 Recharge Inscription (Pro) T5 (132+60 kW), MY21 late
papalimafoxtrot

Post by papalimafoxtrot »

A propos of the recommended measure to avoid particulate filter problems I accept that all I have to do is follow the manual, but do not really understand why driving the car at a particular speed is specified regardless of whether the transmission is automatic or manual. Could not the same result be achieved with a manual gearbox by driving slower in a lower gear (in effect at the same rev/min) for the same length of time? What is the actual criterion that needs to be met? Eg sustained engine temperature/fuel flow rate or a combination of engine parameters. Any boffins, engineers or automotive technicians out there who have the explanation?
goi

Post by goi »

papalimafoxtrot wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:41 pm A propos of the recommended measure to avoid particulate filter problems I accept that all I have to do is follow the manual, but do not really understand why driving the car at a particular speed is specified regardless of whether the transmission is automatic or manual. Could not the same result be achieved with a manual gearbox by driving slower in a lower gear (in effect at the same rev/min) for the same length of time? What is the actual criterion that needs to be met? Eg sustained engine temperature/fuel flow rate or a combination of engine parameters. Any boffins, engineers or automotive technicians out there who have the explanation?
It‘s not only about the engine‘s speed but about the load, the temperature, the catalyst’s status, the exhaust level, the driving speed etcetera which determines in a complex calculation scheme the optimal stochiometric parameters for the engine.
since 2023: XC40 Pure Electric Twin Motor Ultimate MY24
since 2020: Mirai II Fuel Cell, MY21
2020-2023 XC40 Recharge Inscription (Pro) T5 (132+60 kW), MY21 late
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

What I do with my D3R auto is to drive it down a dual carriageway for about half a hour, and when the engine is hot drop it down to 6th gear at 70mph, round about 2750rpm to hopefully clear the DPF. I do this once a tankful.