Factory Orange Peel Paintwork

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
tomtimmyturbo

Post by tomtimmyturbo »

Has anyone else noticed a more noticeable than normal orange peel affect on their paintwork? All manufacturers paintwork has some but seems to be worse in mine. I did look at some others in the dealership and I could see they were similar. Wondering if it looks worse on black paint?

Attached is an example off the internet as I need to wash my car to take pictures of my own.

1210chp-03-o-+right-way-to-cut-and-buff-paint+orange-peel.jpg

Black stone First edition ordered. 19/01/18.

Taff

Post by Taff »

If its that bad you should be taking it back to the dealer, thats the kind of job you got thirty years ago in a back street spray shop. The few I looked at in the dealers when ordering mine all looked ok, and i'm a fussy old sod.
Ordered XC40 D3 Inscription Automatic, Pine Grey, Charcoal Leather, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Camera, Tempra Spare Wheel. (Ordered 23/5/18) Delivered 20th September 2018.
tomtimmyturbo

Post by tomtimmyturbo »

They were all like that in the dealer to be fair.Even old bmws had some orange peel but not as bad. Told them, apart from there all like that, there just how they are is only thing I have got.
Black stone First edition ordered. 19/01/18.
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

Must admit when I collected my black stone xc40 I was shocked at the orange peel paintwork it does stand out with the black paint
Black stone T5 FE 19” alloys collected 29 June
Treestar

Post by Treestar »

For bursting blue it.. looks not too bad

20180819_120354.jpg

XC40 T5 R-design Bursting Blue w 19" rims
Alistair72

Post by Alistair72 »

Saw a black XC40 in a dealers showroom today and the orange peel effect was shockingly bad. Even the sales guy agreed. It looked like solid black even though it said on the details it was Onyx. There was also quite a few scratches on it already. It was a T4 awd momentum priced at £44000!
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

Alistair72 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:46 pm Saw a black XC40 in a dealers showroom today and the orange peel effect was shockingly bad. Even the sales guy agreed. It looked like solid black even though it said on the details it was Onyx. There was also quite a few scratches on it already. It was a T4 awd momentum priced at £44000!
£44k for a momentum!! Jesus what are they on? :lol: :lol:
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
Gavin G

Post by Gavin G »

Regarding the many Orange Peel comments on this forum.
Has anyone had success in having it put right?

I had asked the dealer to either exchange for another colour of refund. It was sent for a paint test which showed the depth of paint to be between 40 and 65 microns. It seems rather thin to me as it is designed to be an Off Road vehicle.
I have asked Volvo UK and Sweden but they will not say what the specification of the paint should be. They keep referring me back to the dealer who they say "is the eyes and ears for Volvo". If the dealer says it's OK , then it's OK.
The dealer has shown no interest in this and have only acted in response when Volvo contacted them.
There are some good examples of this car but it does look like they have had the wrong set up when my car was sprayed. The body colour appears lighter than it was and I suspect that is due to the lack of UV protection as the lacquer is too thin.

Really disappointing looking finish for an otherwise good car. I bought this thinking Volvo was still a quality marque.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I have also on my car, but a very small area, something like 1" by 1.5"

It is barely visible, only from a specific angle under certain light
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I wouldn't be happy with an orange peel finish. No excuse for it nowadays with computer controlled robotic sprayers etc., it should be perfect.

As said, paint defects do show up on black more than other colours. I've only washed my Bursting Blue twice so far and haven't seen any problems with it.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.