Unable to send text messages

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Sputnik wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:17 pm The dealer showed me with his phone which was also an iPhone X. Will keep trying anyway but thanks for your help
In which case very strange. Good luck and do report back the solution.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

All I can add is that I have been able to do this successfully, both in terms of replying to a text (using dictation), and sending a text from scratch. Using Apple CarPlay in my case with an iPhone 7+.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Sputnik, have had a further look this evening. I have same problem with an 6s over Bluetooth. I haven’t tried over apple CarPlay (like pjm’s working set up) but that’s going to have to wait till tomorrow.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Boomer wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:50 pm Sputnik, have had a further look this evening. I have same problem with an 6s over Bluetooth. I haven’t tried over apple CarPlay (like pjm’s working set up) but that’s going to have to wait till tomorrow.
Update: tried with Apple CarPlay and that works fine. Can dictate and send SMS messages. So seems to me stacks up with the Volvo support page that iPhones/BT can’t send SMS. Like to be proved wrong.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

So dealer emailed me last night regarding this issue. Tells me he is having the same issue in his own car and it should work. He’s going to speak to the area trainer about it and hopefully have an answer for me by the end of the week.
XC40 FE - White 20” Wheels With headlight washers - Ordered 4th February 2018 & Delivered 10th April 2018
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Still resting my money on that "sending SMS is NOT supported with iPhones connected via BT" as per the Volvo support page. :shock:
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

Messaging works on my car, but I haven't figured out a way to quickly reply to a text that I just received using voice. I end up starting a new message using the voice system. Anyone know what the voice command is to reply to a text you just received?
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

jagstyles wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:35 am Messaging works on my car, but I haven't figured out a way to quickly reply to a text that I just received using voice. I end up starting a new message using the voice system. Anyone know what the voice command is to reply to a text you just received?
I thought it displayed in dash, then press right or left on the steering wheel to highlight reply, hit the circle and she asks you to say the message. Not sure I've asked her to read out messages, just use the circle when it's on the dash.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

Today I tried sending a text message from scratch and it kept telling me my phone wasn't connected when in fact it was. I could see all my contacts and even reply to incoming texts but I could not start one from scratch. Any ideas?