Stop Start function and trickle charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I hate the stop/start system on my D3R, an always disable it on start up.

Deleted User 3491

Post by Deleted User 3491 »

Mostly I love it on my T4.

The only time I absolutely hate it is when backing into my driveway.

I overshoot the drive, stop, engine cuts out, engage reverse, engine starts.

I've started doing two quick presses, in quick succession, of the drive mode button as I run into our Close. This engages Dynamic mode and the engine doesn't cut out.
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

My wife's 2012 A class stop/start works perfectly all the time and the car does even less mileage than mine (under 2000 miles in the last year compared to my 4000). My stop start hasn't worked for over 6 months despite recently having done a 200 mile run. The Volvo XC40 stop start definitely has problems.
D4 R-design in black.
Jon962

Post by Jon962 »

xbimmer wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:26 pm "...The Volvo XC40 stop start definitely has problems"
But not a widespread problem, my XC40 stop/start system works perfectly. Why let facts get in the way of a good sweeping generalisation 🙂.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Jon962 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:53 am
xbimmer wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:26 pm "...The Volvo XC40 stop start definitely has problems"
But not a widespread problem, my XC40 stop/start system works perfectly. Why let facts get in the way of a good sweeping generalisation 🙂.

'I don't have this problem, therefore it cannot be widespread'. Why let faulty logic get in the way of a good sweeping generalisation. :) :)
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Jon962

Post by Jon962 »

But the post said the XC40 cars have problems with the stop start system.

This isn't the case, the issue is that SOME XC40 cars have problems with the stop start system.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm convinced many of the stop/start problems being report are mainly due to the cars not getting the mileage they should during various lockdowns. My stop/start worked fine every time up until the first lockdown started in March 2020. During this period the car was only doing one 8 mile return trip a week to the local supermarket. After the first lockdown was over we still didn't do a great deal of mileage, but some time round about August/September we had to take a longer trip of about 60 miles or so, suddenly, towards the end of that trip it started working again.
This was followed by many weeks of little use and it stopped working and just before the latest lockdown I was wondering if there was something in this 'fault' business had we had done over 60 miles on a couple of occasions without it working. Then suddenly, just after the start of the last lock down, I used my car for a couple return trips of 70 miles (mainly motorway) in the same day and it started working again (it was within the lock down rules, I volunteer for Blood Bikes and for the first time in 8 years I used the car to carry whole blood instead of my bike as the weather was that bad). It hasn't worked since. I suspect the higher run time was required to get the battery sufficiently charged again was because of the much colder weather.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
dnyoung607

Post by dnyoung607 »

As of 21 May 2021 start/stop still not working. Last system update was in May 2020. Note: I am in USA, so not sure if there was a more recent update.
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

Just had mine in for start stop and turbo issue which Volvo have done a software update to fix any cars that have problems.
The issue for me wasn’t it not being available it was the fact that it would turn the car off and then not restart, with just the message to press the clutch. This happened in some pretty dangerous places however within a week of calling it’s hopefully been sorted
dnyoung607

Post by dnyoung607 »

Good news: During my first post-Covid time road trip, start/stop re-engaged and seems to be working just fine. Outage lasted for about 15 months, thanks to the pandemic!! (subscriber from USA)