Knocking sound in the rain

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Carloxc40

Post by Carloxc40 »

Hi, they only said that there is a Modification which extends the pipes. The dealer was Riverside Volvo Hull.

gtest

Post by gtest »

Ok thx, I'm sure they did the Gurgling modification.

I hope to get this sorted to, on mine !
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
virtualal

Post by virtualal »

Hi

Relieved that its not just me. Have the same thing. Weirdly to me sounds as if its coming from the LH side...

Will be taking it back to Volvo in the next few days (Registered 2nd March done 4000 miles). I have a whole list of issues - with it which is a shame as if they could sort these things it would be a good car.
T5 R Design Hybrid
ElectricGhost

Post by ElectricGhost »

Thanks Squint for the link. I have decided to change Volvo dealer (as they suggested) and have found a Volvo dealer who knows about the problem and how to fix it. They need to send for a part and the car will be in overnight. The first Volvo dealer said there was no fault and nothing to be found in the Technical Bulletins about it.
mac1776

Post by mac1776 »

Hi Guys,
Great site, our car had this issue so I went armed with the Tech Journal info, as provided (thank you), car was booked in, wipers/trim/ wiper motors/speakers all removed, new drain tubing installed (there was nothing there previously), noise all gone :)
Thanks to Waylands, reading for excellent, prompt service. 100%
kind regards
Mac
gtest

Post by gtest »

Today the knocking sound reoccurred.

But now it was DRY...no rain.

I had it this morning and also this afternoon coming back from work on the motorway +/- 120km/h.
The knocking noise started in both cases after about 10min drive.
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

I've just had mine fixed by Volvo in Truro, who said that Volvo UK have very recently issued the data sheet for it. I'd printed off the instructions from this thread for them anyway, and they did it at the same time as the first service, all in one afternoon. Their comment was that they had done several recently so their guys could do it quite quickly.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
gtest

Post by gtest »

Mine is booked for early November, I hope it gets sorted because this is terrible to drive this way !
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
Andym

Post by Andym »

I took my car in to dealers yesterday for the recent recall software update. I mentioned the noise and they new all about it and said they would fit the adaption. They called it ‘Glugging’. Will see if it works next time a I’m out in the rain. Impressed with the dealers response.
virtualal

Post by virtualal »

Hi - I had this problem and the fix has worked brilliantly.
T5 R Design Hybrid