Spluttering engine in first 100 metres

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Chsahajarose

Post by Chsahajarose »

Morning!

Almost every time when the engine is cold, my 2020 T5 splutters when going around the corner just a few metres from my house. I have to drive around parked cars so am only very lightly touching the throttle at no more than 10mph and it feels like the car is changing gear too early and result in what feels like a splutter or misfire for just a couple of seconds.

It feels fine immediately after this.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Cheeeers

Chris

ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Pretty sure everyone experienced it, if you mean more like a transmission lurch rather than engine spluttering.
Volvo insists the car needs to run for 10-20 seconds before driving away. It would sort of make sense, with transmission fluid made to operate hot rather than warm. I find i get the same when i pull out of the car park, unless i turn the car on and waste a bit of time to play a different playlist on my phone, or set navigation etc. Then it's all nice and smooth.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Chsahajarose wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:22 am Morning!

Almost every time when the engine is cold, my 2020 T5 splutters when going around the corner just a few metres from my house. I have to drive around parked cars so am only very lightly touching the throttle at no more than 10mph and it feels like the car is changing gear too early and result in what feels like a splutter or misfire for just a couple of seconds.

It feels fine immediately after this.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Cheeeers

Chris
I aways wait for the revs to die down before moving off when the engine is cold or the first start of the day. I do agree about the car changing gear too early. It’s been discussed before. The car feels like it lurches if driven at very low speed. We live on a flat road but a a couple of hundred yards down the road, it starts to go downhill. When we reach this section, the cars momentum takes over. As this makes the revs rise, the gearbox changes up and you get a lurch.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Not to contradict you @Dermottdog, but are the revs related to this? I assumed much as my Mazda3, it revs up temporarily to charge the battery faster. On a normal drive with no Start/Stop etc, so no extra battery consumed, the next start usually doesn't rev it up.

of course, if it's just used as a "timer" for the transmission to heat up, than fair game
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

ciuncky wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 am Not to contradict you @Dermottdog, but are the revs related to this? I assumed much as my Mazda3, it revs up temporarily to charge the battery faster. On a normal drive with no Start/Stop etc, so no extra battery consumed, the next start usually doesn't rev it up.

of course, if it's just used as a "timer" for the transmission to heat up, than fair game
Perhaps I didn’t explain it too well. Every time I start the car on its 1st journey of the day, I let the revs reduce from 1400 or whatever the car revs are when fully cold all the way back down to 800. Doesn’t take very long at all. I then drive away. My reason for this goes back to when I was a Renault apprentice. When I used to put the cars into drive when 1st started back in the day, there was such a jolt to the transmission that I thought at the time couldn’t be good. So it’s just the way I roll on that one. Obviously, if the engine is warm/hot on subsequent start ups, there is no need to wait because the revs die down immediately at settle at about 800.
With regards to the lurch, when I drive down a hill at slow speed, the car is now coasting in 2nd gear for example. My foot is off the accelerator. As the cars inertia takes over due to the hill, revs start to rise. At about 2500ish, the car charges gear and it appears to lurch.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Chsahajarose

Post by Chsahajarose »

👍👍