Rear Brake Wear

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
trevorc

Post by trevorc »

Just been driving the car and had to park it up. Rear right wheel putting out lot of black smoke and smell of brake dust. Wheel v hot too. Left rear is fine.

Looks like brakes are rubbing just on that wheel...........

Anyone had similar issues and is this related to the electronic handbrake i wonder as the overall braking of the car otherwise was fine

Thanks

squint

Post by squint »

What’s mileage and age of car?
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
trevorc

Post by trevorc »

21000 miles and just two years old. as i say, v hot rear right and black smoke coming out when stopped. left hand stone cold.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Does sound like the parking brake or one of the rear brakes has become stuck on. Is it the first time you've used the car in a few weeks due to lockdown...or a while since you used it since washing it?

Does sound like a fault there but given the mileage the pads are likely well through their life but I would expect a warranty contribution towards the cost of replacement.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Volvo XC40

Post by Volvo XC40 »

Exactly the same issue! Had both rear pads replaced on first year service-22k km.
Auto brake system if not manually disengaged drags the car wearing out the pads...other cars with the same system don’t do this as they they don’t roll before the auto disengagement. When pads replaced I hear the right rear pad rubbing as well at very low speeds or when turning.
Haven’t checked or heard the left one as I am driving a right hand car...
Dealer said it’s normal 🤨
I will have both checked to a real professional and update soon. Looks like someone is buying Brembo...
VolvoXC40|D3|R-Design|Crystal White|Pan Roof