Maps update via USB stick

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
buddie000

Post by buddie000 »

I have downloaded the latest Northern Europe maps to a USB stick. When installing does it stop the Navigation from working whilst driving or does it install in the background and update when car is turned on and off. :)

Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

It stopped working on mine
T5 First edition Crystal White
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I just watched a You Tube video on Volvo map updates. Navigation is turned off while the update is in progress but you can still use the radio.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
buddie000

Post by buddie000 »

Thanks @Skyrimmer / @Michaelxc40, will not update when doing a 300 mile trip then.
Sven

Post by Sven »

Hi All

I'm just looking to update the maps on our XC40 Sensus (having found the internet connection feature somewhat frustrating and seemingly stone-age in terms of ease of use), and so will use the USB method, which looks straightforward, however having looked at the 'map options' on the Volvo support site, although we use the car in the UK at the moment, will be using it in a couple of bits of Europe, so I'm tempted to download the whole 'Europe' map update which is nearly 50Gb, I'm just a bit concerned that this might be a bit big for the car storage or take forever, has anyone done this, ie downloaded the whole of the Europe maps update, and if so was it successful and did it take a long time?

Cheers in advance!

Tony (Sven is the car....I know, I know, not my idea!)
2019 XC40 D4 Inscription Auto 4WD
buddie000

Post by buddie000 »

It took me 30 minutes to update Northern Europe from a USB stick. Not sure of the size but the Navigation continued to work whilst it was updating as I just plugged it in and away it went no issues at all.
aj05

Post by aj05 »

Took mine approx. 45min from usb stick not sure if navigation worked but the map certainly displayed during update
varavital

Post by varavital »

See also this post:

https://www.xc40forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=338&p=12679#p12679
The road is more important than the destination.
Sven

Post by Sven »

As suggested, I got hold of a large USB and downloaded the whole of Europe map file onto it from my pc: this took a whapping sixteen hours to download from the pc to the USB, but only about 45 minutes to upload into the car. The display did say that navigation wasn't available during the upload, but I did it when the car was static anyway. Suffice to say the process is easy and well described on the net. Thanks for all your help.

Tony
2019 XC40 D4 Inscription Auto 4WD