Car wash?

Post pictures of your Volvo XC40 here
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Well I've had my R Design B4 for almost 7 months now and on balance am very happy with it. I've been lovingly hand washing it so far and take great care and pride in doing so.
I'm toying with the thought of taking it through a car wash for the occasional quick wash in between my hand washes. I used to take my previous car through the local IMO wash with no dents/scrapes/scratches and wondered if anyone has had any issues with their XC40 in car washes or am I overthinking it?

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

An automatic car wash is an automatic no from me. If it’s a hand car wash take a look at how dirty the water is that they are washing the car with and that may also put you off.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

If you take great care and pride in car washing, you've really got no choice but to wash it yourself or pay a professional car detailer to do it.

The fact you had no problems with your last car in an automatic wash must be down to luck. They are notorious for causing damage, from regular swirl marks and scratches through to destroying bits of trim, all covered by their disclaimer of course.

Personally, I wash mine once a year, just before its service, although I keep the interior and all the glass clean at all times.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

PlymDave wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:01 am Well I've had my R Design B4 for almost 7 months now and on balance am very happy with it. I've been lovingly hand washing it so far and take great care and pride in doing so.
I'm toying with the thought of taking it through a car wash for the occasional quick wash in between my hand washes. I used to take my previous car through the local IMO wash with no dents/scrapes/scratches and wondered if anyone has had any issues with their XC40 in car washes or am I overthinking it?
Nope, wouldn’t do it…

Either leave it dirty or wash it again sooner…
Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

If I even look at mine, it scratches so definitely avoid car wash. Paint is medium hardness which is good for avoiding stone chips but easily scratched. (This is definitely my last black car as you see every mark .)
R-Design T3 manual MY22 Onyx black
Climate and park assist packs
Spare wheel and Smartphone integration
Volvo sunglasses holder x2
Spare wheel cover
Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 hardwired

Delivered 12th March 2022
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Our Karoq was put in against our XC40. Our 3rd, and last, black car. Every scratch visible, even after a full job from Urban Valet. Never again.

We're hand washing the Volvo with gear from Diamondbrite, although with my bad back and Mrs post op it isn't getting done as much as we'd like.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Actually, are we talking "drive through" car washes (or the IMO style), or so called hand washes with the high pressure lances? The latter are finished by hand.

🤔
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Always said, black is a fab colour for a car but the worse colour to live with, all those swirls and marks in sun light :shock: - would recommend never to use any car wash, even the hand washes - how often do they changes the sponges, well never enough - all that grit from the previous cars giving your lovely new paint job a really good scouring :cry:
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Oh definitely agree with black cars - look sublime when clean, but then show everything up…

Still, very much worth it when clean 😎
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Mine's an R Design in Pebble Grey, so only the black roof.